HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Any advice on cockpit canopies?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

Any advice on cockpit canopies? Empty
PostSubject: Any advice on cockpit canopies?   Any advice on cockpit canopies? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05 2015, 08:47

I've just about finished my very first Venom, but I'm not sure how to proceed with the canopy. I've never painted a model with a canopy before. I want to use it, because I think it makes the model sleeker. I put a lot of work in on the pilot and the control panel, so I want to ensure that it remains as clear as possible. And the parts that I don't want to be clear - the frame - I want to paint and have the paint stay put, which for me means primer, gloss varnish, and two coats of dullcote.

Before I start experimenting with masking tape and masking fluid, does anyone have any advice on this?

Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Any advice on cockpit canopies?   Any advice on cockpit canopies? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05 2015, 09:16

I just paint directly onto the canopy - citadel base paints will cover it with a couple of coats. Never tried varnishing it though, I'd advise painting the canopy separate to the rest of the model, and attach it once the rest is varnished.

Oh yeah, and it's best to use pva glue to attach it too, superglue will cloud the plastic (not sure about poly cement, possibly be ok if you use it sparingly).

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Omega1907
Hellion
Omega1907

PostSubject: Re: Any advice on cockpit canopies?   Any advice on cockpit canopies? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05 2015, 12:32

Well, I painted mine with a few coats of black wash (it got matte) and with a final coat of gloss varnish - final product is toned down but relatively clear canopy Smile

The frame I just painted directly on ... but you can use a brush-on primer if you really want to Wink

spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Any advice on cockpit canopies?   Any advice on cockpit canopies? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05 2015, 17:28

I painted directly onto the frame of mine. I did use a green glaze over the whole cockpit before I did that though. I also sprayed the whole venom with testors dullcoat, and then went over the visor with gloss varnish, and all stages worked fine. I will post up the finished pic on my project log once the crew are finished Smile

SC jocolor

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
MarcoAvrelis
Kabalite Warrior
MarcoAvrelis

PostSubject: Re: Any advice on cockpit canopies?   Any advice on cockpit canopies? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06 2015, 00:52

For clear canopies, I'd say paint it on.

If you want "Mirror"-glass canopies, you paint silver on the inside, while the frames on the outside. Sparing it with varnish will make it a little less clear, almost frosted.

A tip I suggest is to take watered out green and apply some drops on the sign (Or bomb targets for voidravens) on the inside and let it dry, not only does it get filled, it gets a faint glow around it.

If you can want, I can post pics.
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: Any advice on cockpit canopies?   Any advice on cockpit canopies? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06 2015, 07:17

Testors has a glue just for windows that I use. It won't fog and sticks to paint. As for the paint on the frame, I carefully use a file to roughin up the plastic and then paint if I want it see thru. I've been doing this so long now that I just paint the inside black (call it limo tint) but do the trim on the outside like I said so the clear shiney stays.

Hellion
SweaterKittens

PostSubject: Re: Any advice on cockpit canopies?   Any advice on cockpit canopies? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13 2015, 06:21

Humbrol makes clear paints that are perfect, paint in on the inside of the canopy and you get a great tint. Humbrol also makes a masking fluid that works great if you want to paint the frame on the cockpit but not the cockpit glass itself.
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych
Marrath

PostSubject: Re: Any advice on cockpit canopies?   Any advice on cockpit canopies? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13 2015, 06:32

The target crosshair thingy is on the inside of the canopy.
I noticed too late and had it already glued on lol.

Cavalier
Wych
Cavalier

PostSubject: Re: Any advice on cockpit canopies?   Any advice on cockpit canopies? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13 2015, 10:52

I use P3 inks and GW's 'Ard Coat. Just mix em together and voila

Any advice on cockpit canopies? IMG_0437

PostSubject: Re: Any advice on cockpit canopies?   Any advice on cockpit canopies? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any advice on cockpit canopies?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: