HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sigmaril
Sybarite

PostSubject: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Sat Feb 14 2015, 01:25

So, reading up on GW's own description of the new Harlequin Star/Voidweaver kit, I came on this description of the Voidweaver:

Quote :
The Voidweaver is a mobile gun platform armed with 2 shuriken cannons, one is under-slung beneath the front of the vehicle and the second is rear-facing and mounted on the platform on the top of the Voidweaver. You also have a choice of either a pintle-mounted haywire cannon or a prismatic cannon

Since the vehicle itself is pretty much identical to our beloved Venom, and the Voidweaver haywire/prismatic cannon is positioned exactly where our splinter cannon is, shouldn't the splinter cannon be considered pintle-mounted too?
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Sun Feb 15 2015, 19:45

Our codex doesn't say so. That means both weapons on a Venom count as hull-mounted.
Back to top Go down
clively
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Mon Feb 16 2015, 14:46

Does it matter? The venoms are av10 all around, and you get to pivot at the beginning and end of the movement phase. So there's no reason not to just point the vehicle at whatever you want to be shooting at.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Mon Feb 16 2015, 15:40

Have you never tried pointing two guns at a target, only to have it die by the first one?
Sure it can be mitigated by pointing a gun in a direction where it covers multiple targets, but that is not always an optimal solution, thus having a larger arc of fire would be beneficial.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Mon Feb 16 2015, 16:00

@Rokuro wrote:
Our codex doesn't say so. That means both weapons on a Venom count as hull-mounted.

Nope - not at all! No where is the default hull mount. The weapon is considered to swivel,as far as the model would appear to regardless of how it's modelled

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Rokuro
Wych

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Mon Feb 16 2015, 18:09

@Massaen wrote:
@Rokuro wrote:

Nope - not at all! No where is the default hull mount. The weapon is considered to swivel,as far as the model would appear to regardless of how it's modelled

The way the weapon and the gunner are positioned, on either the Starweaver, Voidweaver or Venom, you can't get more than the 45° cone that is standard for hull-mounted weapons. It is clearly not a turret.
Back to top Go down
DingK
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Mon Feb 16 2015, 18:24

@Sigmaril wrote:
Have you never tried pointing two guns at a target, only to have it die by the first one?
Sure it can be mitigated by pointing a gun in a direction where it covers multiple targets, but that is not always an optimal solution, thus having a larger arc of fire would be beneficial.

It won't matter for the Venom, as it can only fire at one target at a time. Two guns or one, it still doesn't have Split-Fire.
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Mon Feb 16 2015, 21:50

Wether or not it's practical is besides the point. But it would be extra options, and as far as I'm concerned, that is never a bad thing Smile
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Mon Feb 16 2015, 21:57

@Rokuro wrote:
@Massaen wrote:
@Rokuro wrote:

The way the weapon and the gunner are positioned, on either the Starweaver, Voidweaver or Venom, you can't get more than the 45° cone that is standard for hull-mounted weapons. It is clearly not a turret.
No one is arguing it's turret mounted. I was asking for pintle-mounted, which, at least in the case of the Voidweaver, it most definately is (see opening post).
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Mon Feb 16 2015, 23:39

The gunner is not relevant. There is a caveat in the rules saying that how it's modelled is not relevant and that it should be used as it appears it could move. Given the nature of the DE and how they are willing to hang off and ride on the hull, 180 degrees arc is completely plausible and even 360 given their nature - TBag the driver in the process!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Rokuro
Wych

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Tue Feb 17 2015, 08:38

@Massaen wrote:
The gunner is not relevant. There is a caveat in the rules saying that how it's modelled is not relevant and that it should be used as it appears it could move. Given the nature of the DE and how they are willing to hang off and ride on the hull, 180 degrees arc is completely plausible and even 360 given their nature - TBag the driver in the process!

That just sounds too much like cheese to me.

And I would definitely want to see it FAQed.
Back to top Go down
SweaterKittens
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   Wed Feb 18 2015, 08:35

I've seen this thread over and over, albeit in slightly different contexts, as I've been looking for an answer to this question regarding the bow gun on Raiders. GW has not made it clear and appears to have no intention to do so, since it keeps getting brought up.

Generally the answer I've seen is this (regarding the Raider, so you'll have to extrapolate it for it's use with Venoms): The weapon on the bow has at LEAST has a 90 degree fire arc (45 in each direction), as that's feasible even with the gunner. Beyond that, it's easy to get the gun to turn until you whack the side rails, which gives it an arc of 180 degrees (90 in each direction). That seems to be the most accepted rule, and it's hard to argue against it. It seems clear that the gun is made to turn that far. If you point the gun straight up, you can turn the whole bow gun 360 degrees, so you could argue that since the model allows it, you have a full firing arc, but that's pretty cheesy and I wouldn't make that argument.

I play my Raiders with a 180 degree firing arc and no one has complained yet. I have yet to field my Venom, but the gun is very clearly pintle-mounted so I feel like it should be played with a 360 firing arc, but I'll likely end up playing with a 90-180 degree firing arc so as to avoid the cheese and accompanying arguments.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?   

Back to top Go down

To pintle-mount or not to pintle-mount?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: