HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Thu Jan 29 2015, 11:58

What happened to:
@The_Burning_Eye wrote:

I'm not going to derail this thread any further

Anyway..
@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
The trick as i see it with venom spam is getting enough AT into the army at sufficient range to allow your splinter cannons to rule the board in case you come up against a mounted army. It can certainly be done, but in my opinion it makes the list very dependent on the AT working well early on - a few bad dice rolls can ruin its day (wave serpent spam being a particular nightmare for it I'd think).

I think that venom spam should always be paired with AT "spam" and they should be about equal. That way you can usually get enough venom into a list without overdoing it. It's not real spam anymore but I think a more balanced approach is (most of the time) a better option.

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Thu Jan 29 2015, 12:00

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:

The trick as i see it with venom spam is getting enough AT into the army at sufficient range to allow your splinter cannons to rule the board in case you come up against a mounted army. It can certainly be done, but in my opinion it makes the list very dependent on the AT working well early on - a few bad dice rolls can ruin its day (wave serpent spam being a particular nightmare for it I'd think).

What sort of AT do you use?

Also, I'd be interested to see some venom-spam lists, if anyone would care to post examples.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Thu Jan 29 2015, 13:18

I can only talk about my own collection, since I have never used venom spam myself (I don't like painting or using endless units that are all the same).

I would see it working like this however - 6+ venoms sitting at the back edge of the board, preferably out of sight. In front of that, and deployed according to their threat ranges, probably a couple of ravagers, a couple of scourge squads and maybe some blasterborn in a raider.

In terms of strategy the key thing would be to use the lances and haywire to get any transported troops out of their vehicles. the venoms would then emerge, laying down a curtain of long range anti personnel fire to cripple the units that now have to move on foot.

ps @Crazy_Irish - what I really mean was that I wasn't going to get involved in a discussion about the merits of wyches, rather than that I wouldn't respond to further posts. YOu caould also say that venom spam is a themed list, which i was talking about Wink .

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Massaen
Klaivex

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Thu Jan 29 2015, 15:47

My go to list is at its core always 5 venom gun boats for 600 points. This is the default troops in any list I build. I like to have 6-8 typically across the list with trueborn or CotA coming along for numbers.

It's then backed by triple Ravager, scourges and a Razorwing

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Sigmaril
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Thu Jan 29 2015, 20:43

@The Shredder wrote:
@The_Burning_Eye wrote:

Also, I'd be interested to see some venom-spam lists, if anyone would care to post examples.
This is the list I plan on bringing to a tournament this summer.

Quote :
HQ1: Archon w. blaster
 Venom w. splinter cannon

HQ2: Archon w. blaster
 Venom w. splinter cannon

HQ3: Lhameaen
 Venom w. splinter cannon

HQ4: Lhameaen
 Venom w. splinter cannon

Troops1: 5 Kabalite Warriors w. blaster
 Venom w. splinter cannon

Troops2: 5 Kabalite Warriors w. blaster
 Venom w. splinter cannon

Troops3: 5 Kabalite Warriors w. blaster
 Venom w. splinter cannon

Troops4: 5 Kabalite Warriors w. blaster
 Venom w. splinter cannon

Troops5: 5 Kabalite Warriors w. blaster
 Venom w. splinter cannon

Troops6: 5 Kabalite Warriors w. blaster
 Venom w. splinter cannon

FA1: Venom w. splinter cannon

FA2: Venom w. splinter cannon

FA3: Venom w. splinter cannon

FA4: Venom w. splinter cannon

FA5: Venom w. splinter cannon

HS1: Ravager w. 3 dark lances

HS2: Ravager w. 3 dark lances

HS3: Ravager w. 3 dark lances
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Thu Jan 29 2015, 23:11

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

Who's your warlord?
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Fri Jan 30 2015, 07:39

I think there is a big difference between 6 Venoms and 15 Venoms. And I sure would like to test that real Venom spam list. (But wouldn't it benefit from obsec in a missions where you need to fight mech?)

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Fri Jan 30 2015, 07:40

@The Shredder wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

Who's your warlord?

One of the archons. A fairly easy warlord kill, but with some 300+ poison shots and  9-17 lances each round, I'm hoping to shut down any threats to him early on. He  will likely start in reserves on foot, embarking an empty Venom when he arrives, or hide in some LOS-blocking terrain.

Last edited by Sigmaril on Fri Jan 30 2015, 07:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Fri Jan 30 2015, 07:49

@Vasara wrote:
I think there is a big difference between 6 Venoms and 15 Venoms. And I sure would like to test that real Venom spam list. (But wouldn't it benefit from obsec in a missions where you need to fight mech?)
It definately would benefit from ObSec. The list is not definite yet. I will likely change 2 of the FA Venoms into some kind of Venom from the Elites slot instead. Probably a unit of Wracks, because they're the cheapest.
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Fri Jan 30 2015, 08:31

Wrack are cheaper but trueborn add to your poison shots better.

And please do not double post but use edit function instead ///Vasara

Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Fri Jan 30 2015, 08:46

Indeed. It never occurred to me that it's possible to take Trueborn without blasters, so that will be considered. I'm not sure I need the extra short-range poison, though, so I might still go with Wracks to get a different weapon-type included. Possibly the Ossefactor.
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   Fri Jan 30 2015, 08:52

Yeah I forgot they now have ossefactors

Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?   

Back to top Go down

Is Venom Spam still one of the most versatile lists?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: