Share | 

Looking for help against necrons

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
egorey
The Duck of Death

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Wed Feb 04 2015, 14:13

Depends what saves the flayed ones get - if they are 4+ reanimate you will kill abut 2-3 of them only. It is really quite an even match up until the numbers start to bog you down. but I do get what you are saying.

Rock.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Wed Feb 04 2015, 14:22

@egorey wrote:
Depends what saves the flayed ones get - if they are 4+ reanimate you will kill abut 2-3 of them only. It is really quite an even match up until the numbers start to bog you down. but I do get what you are saying.

I was assuming a 5+ RP roll for them and of course I'd be repeatedly slamming them with Caltrop'd Reavers whilst they were fighting the Dark Artisans. Plus if I get my Archon near them, they're taking a -3 penalty on their Ld when they take a break test.

Wraiths concern me far more than Flayed Ones but there's very little I can do about them other than hope they roll bad saving throws and don't roll too many rends.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Wed Feb 04 2015, 17:12

Quote :
The new necron dex has me terrified
Is there lot of fearless stuff? Will there be possibilities to sweeping advance, armor of misery, pgl etc..?

Is everything LD 10?

Grimcrimm
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Wed Feb 04 2015, 18:41

Fearless is very rare for the necrons, Keep those Reavers as far away from melee as possible they do not have the damage output or toughness to survive, our reavers should only be used against there vehicles. as said earlier the talos is your best bet but i recommend against melee with anything else.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Wed Feb 04 2015, 22:44

I'd like to point out that even with Caltrops, reavers are not good against their vehicles unless you drop their shields first. If I remember right Hammer of Wrath is resolved against the facing you're standing in and not the back like the normal CC attacks. That makes dropping AV13 impossible.

As for the other questions: Yes, most stuff is LD10, but not fearless. Beating them in assault is still tough since, well, they are tough. They will just bog most of our units down since we cannot kill them fast enough. I still need to run some numbers though.

I'm not saying sky is falling, but I'm with Mush and Adhemar in that I think they are still a top tier dex, maybe more so than before, but certainly no less. I've seen them just roll over Space Marines the past weekend. Their damage output was not as huge as before, but they wouldn't die and slowly killed everything.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Wed Feb 04 2015, 23:15

Played against them tonight. Game was the Relic and I won on turn 6 by tabling him. I'll get the lists and a brief report done tomorrow.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
egorey
The Duck of Death

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Thu Feb 05 2015, 04:38

This I have to see. How so you table a list with 4+ RP rolls and res orbs and T5 and ...

Rock.
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Thu Feb 05 2015, 05:05

I too want to hear your exp. Adhemar. I will be playing them soon.

Their infantry look like they can be buffed to the point where shooting them would just be a waste of time and they have ways of moving up fast.

My plan is just to kite around and torrent the stuff that is not stupid unkillable.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Thu Feb 05 2015, 11:41

BatRep here.

Back to top Go down
egorey
The Duck of Death

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Thu Feb 05 2015, 13:19

Of course this is an Eldar / DE list. Fire Dragons, Warp Spiders and Wave Serpents did do a lot of damage. That said - a nice game count - not the best Necron list but whatever. You played well.

Rock.
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Thu Feb 05 2015, 13:58

Thanx Adhemar. How many pts was that battle? Am at work and cant add up rite now.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Thu Feb 05 2015, 14:04

Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Thu Feb 05 2015, 14:15

Thanx again, man things really look grim.

So would you agree with my plan? Any tips would help.
@Painjunky wrote:

My plan is just to kite around and torrent the stuff that is not stupid unkillable.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Thu Feb 05 2015, 14:17

@Painjunky wrote:
Thanx again, man things really look grim.

So would you agree with my plan? Any tips would help.
@Painjunky wrote:

That might work with some units but the Necrons have some fast moving units too (Wraiths for example) who could catch your kiters.

I think the best advice I can give is the age old maxim; shoot the stabby, stab the shooty.

EDIT - Another tactic to use would be to take out the models with the wargear/abilities that boost the squad they're in. I'm mainly thinking Crypteks with Res Orbs, named characters etc. I'd love to recommend Ilic Nightspear for this job as you'd think a BS9 model with Preferred Enemy (Necrons) and a 48" range, AP2 Sniper rifle that always fire Precision Shots would be the ideal solution to this. Sadly, your target will Lo,S! on a 2+ against him and you end up maybe killing one grunt per turn if you're lucky. Take a Vindicare instead, cos clearly the Imperium has better technology and more skillled operatives than the immortal Eldar.

Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Sat Feb 07 2015, 23:57

I hit a tough as nails necron unit in one of my games today and I'd love to hear if anyone else has faced something similar or has ideas for it.  He had Obyron and Orikan and maybe one more character in a unit of lychguard with dispersion shields.  First turn, they deepstriked into my deployment and crowded me in quite a bit, then he popped some ability so I could only snapshoot them for that turn.  I ignored shooting them for the first turn and hoped for a first blood on a unit of scarabs instead (quite sadly, only 14 wounds got through to the 15 wound unit denying me 2 objective scores and the d3 for first blood from the scalpel squadron letting him get it in his 2nd turn instead).

Anyways, second turn I had two razorwings each drop 4 missiles into the unit (inflicting 31 wounds on their own), fired 84 poisoned shots at them, 2 ossefactor shots, a combined 10 blaster/dark lance shots, and 6 more shots from some windrider jetbikes.  Let me note now that I did not roll poorly by any means.  I inflicted an incredible number of wounds them.  However, I only managed to actually get two wounds through his 2+, 3++, (rerolling 1's for saves), and 4+ reanimation protocols.

From that turn on I just did my best to keep at a distance and shoot other units.  I knew the new necron were going to be prove tough, but I did not expect the resilience I encountered today when I tested it.  I almost lost the game simply because I was crowded so much by their aggressive arrival in my face and for my inability to score many objectives due to this unit's durability and the bubble around it I tried desperately to maintain).  As it was, it forced many of my vehicles out into very poor positions allowing his other units to shoot them down handily.  I would have lost the game had he not made a couple critical mistakes with his objectives too so I cannot count on squeaking through another win they way I did.

Edit: A couple comments on posts from earlier in the thread.  I mathed out the damage to the unit as well.  Getting through the 2+ rerolling 1's characters in the unit averages out to 216 poisoned shots per wound.  Lance shots average out to 16 per wound on the 3++ models.  Those are numbers without res orbs too... He had a couple characters in the unit so I couldn't hit a side with more than one lychguard out front before wounds were allocated to them and the AP shots just got easy LOS to 3++ models.  Also, avoiding the unit was far easier said than done when they deepstrike into your deployment and moving out of charging range would put you in rapid fire range of the wall of necron warriors marching up the board.  As it was, I lost several units to their multicharges trying to contest objectives that would have won them the game and because of shaken and immobilized vehicles hit from other units.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Sun Feb 08 2015, 01:10

@lessthanjeff wrote:
 Let me note now that I did not roll poorly by any means.  I inflicted an incredible number of wounds them.  However, I only managed to actually get two wounds through his 2+, 3++, (rerolling 1's for saves), and 4+ reanimation protocols.

My advice would be to position your shooting units so that the Necron player can't tank your shooting on a 2+ re-rollable save character.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Sun Feb 08 2015, 02:10

I did what I could to hit the flanks and most of my shooting did in fact come from the sides, but apparently several of these models have 2+ saves so they were sprinkled throughout the unit. The couple kills I did get in caused the next models taking hits to be back on the 2+'s.

I suspect shooting will be fairly futile in this case, but I'd like to try or hear about some assault results. I don't know if the unit was fearless, so I'm wondering if reavers, grotesque, talos, or incubi (or some combination of them) might be the safest bet to win on combat resolution and try to sweep them. I imagine he'd be reluctant to put potential ID wounds on the characters so I could see grotesque or talos being effective in the combat in sufficient numbers.
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Sun Feb 08 2015, 03:25

I think your right, shooting that unit is futile. CC could be the answer but you would need a real hammer or 2 to do it so yeah grots and talos seem the obvious choices.

We are only a week or so into the new crons and already there are some combos emerging that are just broken resilient. Imagine what ppl could come up with after 6 months. pale

I was hoping GW might be trying to move away from or at least limit deathstars in 7th but obviously not. Rolling Eyes Imbeciles!

Anyway if you had targeted all that turn 2 fire into units that were not broken resilient I imagine your win would be more convincing.
Back to top Go down
egorey
The Duck of Death

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Sun Feb 08 2015, 03:43

Necrons are tough as nails. I have played them with my mechanicus/raven guard list. I have one unit with fury of the legion (puts out eighty bolter shots at 12") and yet I could not take out a unit of six wraiths in a decurion. I also went into cc with a squad of six thallax with heavy chainblades against his other wraith squad - don't ask. Now i have a tough list - Thallax, Castalax, Thanatar, Fire Raptor, Legion troops. I really struggled. I had to focus very hard on the mission and try to steal a win - I did barely succeed.

I think its nice hearing all these wins against Newcrons. I have not fielded DEldar against them but intend to try out my dakka Tau list as soon as I have it (J has sent me the army). I'm hoping it fares better than my mechanicus - which BTW, is unbeaten against DE.

Rock.

Last edited by egorey on Mon Feb 09 2015, 04:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Devilogical
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Sun Feb 08 2015, 08:47

Yeah, this guys are sczry. I played with them yesterday (1500pts) and they beat all cr+p from my wych cult army.
But i managed to kill 3 wraiths king

P.S. that day my dice has cancer probably. because they simple don`t want to do a saving throw (((

Succubus Ariel the Vengefull of the Wych cult Blade Denied to her sister, archon Elieae after the conquering Low Commoragh Dark spire.
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Sun Feb 08 2015, 13:47

Yeah, next game I'm going to put my firepower into the rest of the army and avoid the lychguard unit from the outset. I don't like that there is a unit I just outright cannot kill no matter how much ammo I pour into it though. It means accepting the loss of slay the warlord, letting them have linebreaker, and probably having to ignore a couple numbered objectives on the board in their vicinity.

I'm going to try to test some melee outcomes against them, but I need to make sure they don't have fearless or stubborn anywhere in the unit first. Otherwise, maybe a tarpit of wyches will become invaluable.

Does anyone know if players are allowed to take the formations from the Necron codex without using the full Decurion Detachment or whatever? I believe it was the royal court that made this unstoppable force.
Back to top Go down
Javorra
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Sun Feb 08 2015, 16:28

@lessthanjeff wrote:
Does anyone know if players are allowed to take the formations from the Necron codex without using the full Decurion Detachment or whatever?  I believe it was the royal court that made this unstoppable force.

Yes they can, like we do with coven formations, they just need a cad and they can stick formations with it.
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Sun Feb 08 2015, 16:37

Bah, alright thanks. I was hoping the formations had some sort of "may only be taken as part of a decurian detachment" rule since it sounds like it is a very different organization system from other detachments.
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Sun Feb 08 2015, 18:54

The Decurion Detachment is basically just an uber formation made up of other formations, each of which can be taken as normal. Similar to the Carnival of Pain, but with more freedom.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   Sun Feb 08 2015, 23:42

@lessthanjeff wrote:
and probably having to ignore a couple numbered objectives on the board in their vicinity.

Another reason to spread objs out as far as possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help against necrons   

Back to top Go down

Looking for help against necrons
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: