HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

I am an idiot

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grub
Wych

PostSubject: I am an idiot   Mon Jan 12 2015, 12:00

I had an exceptionally fun game which ended up being incredibly close due to me being a moron.
So we organised a 1500 two on two, chaos marines and grey knights vs Salamanders and Imperial Guard. We are fairly competitive in this group in the sense that we fight tooth and nail but don't go for super efficient lists, rather what we want. About an hour before we started my team mate had to drop out. So instead if ditching the game I asked if I could play alone with two armies, one of salamanders the other the work in progress militarium tempestus army in painting. They went with of course as its still pretty similar to ig. Now the list I was working on for this army is very themed, technically unbound due to the inclusion of some more SAS themed elysian drop troop bits (sentry turrets and taurous stuff) but our consensus was that its pretty spec op so its cool. So the game began.

I got first turn. The GK player went full reserve nemesis strike force and the infantry heavy chaos bubble wrapped his vehicles with blobs to prevent the drop-pod salamanders getting in close. First turn went rather well for the green ones. Sternguard in drop pods popped a dreadnaught with meltas, flamed a squad of marines killing 4 and an ironclad took another 4 out from within a bunker. The stormtroopers in there half tracks (I converted the tauroxes as I didn't like them that much!) opened up and immobilised a rhino and the gatling turrets put some pain on some more chaos. Not bad. The two squads of marines failed there leadership checks and ran off the board which was very lucky on my behalf.

Next turn was painful. All of the Gk stuff bar one squad came on, none mishapped and sat in my deployment. Popping the tauros and a half track. The suicide sternguard got wiped by a vindicator and a couple of marines took a hammering. However, somehow, most of the storm troopers remained alive.

Turn 2 both my Valkyries came on, all the storm troopers jumped out, terminators popped down and vulkan and his pyroclasts got into the fight. The orders you can give stormtroopers are amazing. Shoot a monstrous creature gain tending. On lasguns. Yes please. One squad proceeded to take down a dreadknight with a plasma pistol, to plasma guns and 7 rending lasguns... The other squad with the help of the pyroclasts took down the other dreadknight and the command squad turned a strike squad into piles of ash with the hot shot volley guns. Not gone too badly. The Gk have 3 units left and the chaos have a pile well out of the way.

Next turn a squad of troopers gets rinsed by 3 assault cannon obliterators. A few casualties but all in all not bad.

Then I really messed up. I got a little to into it and jumped right into my shooting phase with the automated sentry guns. Oh god. A certain victory was dashed. Both Valkyries and the squads inside them hurtled to the ground, my transports are facing the wring way, my units are standing in the open and half the stuff is out of range. Woops. Lose half of my army as the flyers crash and burn and now we have a rather close fight. I've played 40k for 10 years, and I've never done that.

All in all after a bit of an uphill crawl the game ended turn 6 and I had control of enough objectives and had enough secondary objectives to win.

Note to self: Tactical genius at its best

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: I am an idiot   Mon Jan 12 2015, 12:54

priceless! I've seen people forget to shoot crucial stuff before (sometimes I'll point it out - depends on the game and the opponent) but never managed to shoot my own flyers out of the sky before.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Vasara
Incognito assault marine

PostSubject: Re: I am an idiot   Mon Jan 12 2015, 13:04

No plan survives the contact with enemy Very Happy

Sounds like you had a good game after your plunder as you were stomping their face before it.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych

PostSubject: Re: I am an idiot   Mon Jan 12 2015, 14:42

Yup, made it a very good game. My personal highlight though was taking down ~1250 points if GK with a handful of lasguns. Quite satisfying after the standard psyker nonsense that goes on!

Just had a re-read of the rulebook to make sure I understand the mechanics of the game Razz

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am an idiot   

Back to top Go down

I am an idiot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DISCUSSION

:: Warhammer 40,000 Discussion
-