Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Mon Dec 29 2014, 23:24

Link to pic dump of current scheme

Hi All!
I'm going to start tracking my Dark Eldar painting and modelling here, from the beginning. This is my first (and likely only) 40k army, so I'll be putting all my 40k love into it.

My first thoughts (before I got the codex) were that I wanted to do an all Kabalite themed army. That is, Archon, Kabalites, Trueborn... basically nothing with wyches or haemonculi in it.
After getting the codex, I've noticed that could be difficult, but I'm going to stand firm and do my best and convert what I can (I've done lots of conversions for Fantasy, so hoping those skills are transferable).

So far, my army consists of 2 squads of 5 Kabalite warriors, an Archon, 2 Venoms (will convert the crew to be kabalites, not wyches), 5 Scourges and a handful of Vampire Count Ghouls(to be converted into Ur-Ghuls until I can get my hands on some Sslyth).

I'll post up pics as I go, and I'm looking forward to any and all feedback that the lurkers of Commmoragh can provide! (Also, any suggestions on Kabal names would be great! Wink )

Last edited by nexs on Wed Dec 30 2015, 00:45; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Tue Dec 30 2014, 22:00

OK, so my first bit of painting.

Kabalite Warriors. The Sybarite is nearly finishded

Kabalite Trueborn. These guys have their base colours mostly down and the Dracon has the beginning on a custom agoniser made with bits from the shredder.

Let me know what you think Smile
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 01 2015, 13:42

I like the colour scheme for the armour. It would be nice to see a close up of that converted agoniser as well. Are you working on a name for the Kabal, or is that a long way down your to-do list?

Back from a long journey in realspace...

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 01 2015, 22:07

Thanks Plastikente!
So far, the agoniser is going to be something like a "cat of nine tails", but with only three tails, it's only in the early early stages, but i'll try and get some closeups tonight!

As for the Kabal's name... I'm new to the Dark Eldar and 40k scene, so I'm not too sure how to go about it. The colour scheme was originally taken from the Kabal of the Last Hatred, but I went with red as the secondary colour.... so maybe they're an old offshoot of that kabal? Any suggestions would be grand!

Also, I'm in the process of converting up my archon's soul trap - a glowing, gem encrusted skull.
Back to top Go down
Maestitia
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Fri Jan 02 2015, 01:29

Really cool.
Love when there're more golden parts on kabalite armors. Wanna see your venoms and the soul trap !

Concerning name for kabals, you have an the choice. Just take a look on 1dchan.
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dark_Eldar

nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Fri Jan 02 2015, 02:00

Thanks for the comment Maestitia!
I figure that the Trueborn are very arrogant and would refuse to enter realspace without the best of the best, and being more shiny than their test tube brothers and sisters would be number 1 on their priority list Very Happy

re: that link. Wonderful, funny, quirky and informative. Perfect!
I'll start thinking of Kabal names. Still taking ideas Wink
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Fri Jan 02 2015, 11:32

Really liking the colour scheme, the midnight blue and the deep red go well together.

If you're stuck on Kabal names, might I suggest our very own Kabal Name Generator.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems

Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Fri Jan 02 2015, 11:51

Thanks!
And yes you may, yes you very may! (going there right now)

Whyshankyaverymuch!
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Fri Jan 02 2015, 12:00

Is "The Kabal of the Flayed Moon" or "the Severed Hatred" taken?
Smile

Edit
Pictures:
Wip Archon

Wip dracon
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 08 2015, 09:14

Awesome! Really liking the way the colour scheme is coming together (to be honest I wasn't sure at first, but it's growing on me!)

Looks like you've done the sensible thing there and got yourself a metal archon model! Just a little tip - I've employed magnets in mine so I can switch up the weapons if I need to - also makes it easier to transport!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 08 2015, 10:15

Thanks! Due to some list changes, models have been altered.

Regarding the Archon, it's actually fine cast..... It was originally bought to do a conversion of Malekith Witch King, but the cat broke him. And now he's an Archon again!

I'm not a fan of magnetising weapons because the model doesn't look complete and I'm more into the hobby side of things than most people! Haha!
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 08 2015, 10:29

Blimey, I could have sworn it was metal!

I think if you do magnets right, the model certainly looks complete - here's a pic of my magnetised archon.

Granted, with the arms off during transportation he doesn't look finished, but I'd rather that than have to glue them back on every time (the main problem with our model range is breakages during transport).

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 08 2015, 10:41

I must have bought it in that brief window where fine cast was cool.

It certainly looks nice, but it would bug me for ever! I'd rather buy another Archon and have him in "combat mode" or "shooter mode"

Call me crazy if you will!
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 08 2015, 10:55

Each to their own! I know it bugs the hell out of a friend of mine when i use imperial fists chapter tactics for my space marines because it's partly a waste as I use a lot of bikes, which gives a better benefit than the shapter tactics do anyway, and I do it purely for fluff reasons.

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 08 2015, 11:31

I don't know what that means hahaha!
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 08 2015, 11:37

basically imperial fists can re-roll '1's when firing bolters, but bikes have twin linked bolters and can re-roll all misses.

But as my paint scheme is an imperial fists successor I use their tactics unless i'm playing a pre-stated competitive match.

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 08 2015, 19:34

Hahaha. I see. No harm in that.
In friendly games you should be able to use which ever rules you like
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Fri Jan 09 2015, 01:31

Alrighty then!

I've made a change to the Archon, placing a blast pistol on his belt and a decorative spiky thing on his back.

At the moment, he's still grasping his soul trap. I see it as a way to keep enemy unit champions from limiting my potential kills, but if the 10 points aren't worth it what are the thoughts on the Animus Vitae?
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Wed Jan 14 2015, 22:09

My phone has soiled itself, so I can't take any photos... but i've built more models.
I have, all up:
15 Warriors
5 Trueborn
2 Wyches
2 Venoms(cannon)
1 Raider(disintegrator)
3 Reavers
2x 5 Scourges (heat lances and HWB)
1 Archon (still deciding what to take, other than agoniser)
1 Haemonculus
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Mon Jan 19 2015, 01:21

All my Dark Eldar Models to date. Once I've re-finished the Archon (Agoniser, Blaster, Helm of Spite), I will paint the Trueborn. That's my goal for the week.
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Mon Jan 19 2015, 10:49

Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 22 2015, 21:49

Archon update.
Back to top Go down
Sfreezy
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 22 2015, 23:14

Coming along nicely.  I wish I had more will to practice with sculpting.

As for the painting, The warrior in the center of the first picture especially looks great.  The color choices work well together and I like your style
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 22 2015, 23:19

Thanks Sfreezy!
I'm thinking the Archon is just about finished. Then I can move onto painting him and his Blasterboys!
I'm hoping the colour works out well on the venoms!

More to come, likely tomorrow
Back to top Go down
Sfreezy
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   Thu Jan 22 2015, 23:59

I think that little pop of yellow makes a big difference with the blue and red you have going. Not sure how I'd work it in the vehicles. Maybe one tail wing, or freehands (if you were going for them) but that may be too much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log   

Back to top Go down

Nexs' Painting/Converting and banter Log
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: