HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one

Go down 
AuthorMessage
albions-angel
Hellion

PostSubject: Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one   Thu Dec 25 2014, 15:20

Hi all. Maybe I should be posting this in army lists, but I wanted more opinion than critique.

I had a (roughly 2500 point) 4th/2nd ed army that I always said I would "convert" but I just cant. Too many models are just wrong. So I got the codex for christmas, and my first set of new Warriors, and because Mum wanted me to get "Christmas Angels" I have a pack of Scourges I am determined to use.

So I want advice for what I am looking at for 500, 1000 and 2000 point armies.

Archon with Clone(low cost) or Shadow (high cost) and Huskblade is a given.
2 Warrior squads with dedicated Splinter rack raiders, upgrading more as I go from 500-1000-2000
My Scourges with 2(?) dark lances (5 of them in the squad).

Thats more or less all 500 points gone right there.

So up from that, what should I prioritise? I want a ravager with DLs
5 Trueborn on a venom? Or Incubi?
I never got on with Haemies. Yes or no?
Bikes I assume?

Advice please Smile Ive looked at other peoples armies and Im just not getting it to click with me so advice over army lists but whatever you want.

And a message to the Mods. Please move this if its in the wrong place Smile
Back to top Go down
craigyy
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one   Thu Dec 25 2014, 16:39

You need something to take on flyers so a razorwing or void raven Smile
Coven units are pretty strong atm especially with the supplement, give them a look over
Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one   Thu Dec 25 2014, 16:54

Razorwings and Voidravens are both terrible anti air, just try and ignore air as much as possible, like everyone else who uses pure DE, or ally.
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one   Thu Dec 25 2014, 18:59

Just a word about the scourges and dark lances. Your scourges are jump infantry, so they can move up to 12" making them fairly mobile. Dark Lances are heavy weapons, meaning if you move you're taking snapshots with them. So giving the scourges dark lances takes away either their mobility or their firepower. You can hunker them down in ruins they have armor and an invul, but if you don't start the game in said ruins they'll have to take dangerous terrain test.

I guess the other question is what do you want from your army? Do you want to assault? Mostly shoot? Do you want to be super competitive, or do you just want to have fun with some units you like? Do you want fluff?

And on the next purchase? If you're deadset on an Archon with Huskblade, he needs a posse. You're best options are 1) Grotesques 2) Incubi. And in that situation you're trading durability for killing power. Personally, I'd go with grotesques, but the choice depends on the style you want to play and the aesthetic.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one   Thu Dec 25 2014, 22:02

Im with deleted here i recommend Blasters on them for utility or haywire for antimech, That armor and invuln are nice but there movement is so much more worth it.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one   Fri Dec 26 2014, 08:01

Ok, Ill check out blasters and haywire. The point is I would like to use them as anti-tank in my tiny army variant and I guess I am used to the old style Scourges with their dark lances.

Ill probably snag a void raven at some point because who doesnt want a bad ass bomber.

Really the style I want is a heavy "anti-ground" and specifically "anti-infantry" army but with some anti tank ability. The old style of large dark eldar force (the type I am used to) where your roll in, melt the ground forces and get out before the tanks target you.

I have never liked coven units. Ever. I may take a squad of wyches. Maybe. If EVERYONE says I have to.

I am really only going to be playing against my little brother who has just started collecting Necron, and then most of my enjoyment will come from painting and modelling so I guess Fluff is more important.

Looks like you guys are trying to say no to the huskblade? Is it really that bad? What would you do for an archon (fully decked out).
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one   Fri Dec 26 2014, 17:40

Times they have a changed. For instance, no one is going to tell you to run wyches.

I think the flagship unit you're looking for is  Razorwing Bomber friend. Most would tell you to equip it with lances which is generally best, but if you leave the disintegrator cannons on there and buy the splinter cannon, that is *your* unit.

It comes in from reserve fires 6 anti-heavy infantry shots, 6 poison shots, and then can drop up to four high strength large blast templates. It will erase an infantry unit. Then it speeds off into ongoing reserves to do it again.

Don't necessarily listen to me about the huskblade. My archon hides in a raider all game.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one   Fri Dec 26 2014, 21:05

RAZORWING bomber? as in a Razorwing outfitted for bombing? Not the Void Raven? Just clarifying. Im new to all this! >.<

And I like the old school Archons so I tend to play the new one like the old one. But then my old one had a stupidly long list of addons. I mean he carried the old alternate dark lance weapon, the one that could drop a large blast or 3 small ones. And an agonizer. And a shadow field. And an old Web Way Portal. I mean just on his own he was over 500 points, and his retinue with the Master of Blades was bad ass. Im thinking of sticking my new archon on a venom with 4 incubi and getting them into close combat asap, dismount, wreak havoc, have the venom fly around near by probably getting blown up, you know, the usual!
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one   Fri Dec 26 2014, 22:07

Whoops, I meant the razorwing jetfighter but yeah it's much better at getting rid of ground targets.It works like delete button for most infantry targets.

PostSubject: Re: Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one   

Back to top Go down

Help starting a new army after giving up on my 4th ed one
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: