Share | 

Rant about "That Guy"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
barenone
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 14:07

Ok there is a guy at our local shop that drives me nuts (we will call him J). He thinks he know every rule and likes to make up some to benefit himself.
I usually avoid playing with this guy because of the stuff he does. The problem is he likes to teach new people "wrongly" I might add.
I was playing a new guy a 2500 point game yesterday. Low and behold J shows up with a buddy of his to make it a 4 man game. I didn't want to play now but I took the high road.
Both of the other guys are newer so they are listening to the garbage J is saying and thinking its true.J will argue to the death that he is right and will tell the new people before and after that the other person likes to argue and cheat.
Normally I would just call our rules guru and he would shut J up but he was out doing Christmas stuff. Even pointing at the
rules in the book didn't work because he likes to play the "Well all the big tournaments I go to do it this way so were making it house rules" crap, "The house never agrees"

Some of the crap he pulled on our Sunday games are things like this.Right of the bat he changed it to a 1250 point list and told me I have about 5 minutes to get it put together, He said I should have been ready for it like him. (Well he knew he was going to change it) All of the building which are obviously ruins, even the book says there ruins,
Count as a 5+ cover save because people were using 4 up cover to cheat "of course I was playing an army that relies on cover, How convenient. He says you can only get the 4+
cover save from them if you purchase the buildings ( I told him fine, I will purchase them, Where are they in the book so I know the cost" He just said hes not going to argue pointlessly....
Another lovely piece of B.S. I go to shoot is land raider, It is behind a blob of Plague Zombies. Off to the side he had about 5 Plague Zombies behind a piece of ruins (not the ones in front of the land raider)
he claimed that the cover save from his blob being over 25% in cover improves his intervening models cover save giving his Land Raider a 3+ Cover. WTF!!!
Also he was running Typhose who could some how use any psychic power he wanted. He never rolled to use any but said he did I was just not watching. So great now all of a sudden he has Force weapon to ID my Dark Artisan squad.

He also pulled this B.S. were we could only use 1 Warlord trait between the 2 of us. According to him my teammates cost more so we had to use his trait so my DA formation was not allowed to have Dark Artisan. The worst thing though is he did not have his list written out.
He would say he knows everything he has and didn't need a list, Only unskilled players like me needed a list because the could not memorize there's.... So I had no idea about anything of his list. To add insult to injury This jerk grabbed my book and started counting my
points to make sure I wasn't cheating.... My point list was higher then the 1250 until I pointed out to him that he took the aigeis defense line his guys were hiding behind, not me. Then they matched. This is just some of the B.S. that comes to mind.
The new guys did not know better and thought he was always right because hes the one teaching them and he spouted propaganda against anyone else to them.

You can see why no one wants to play this guy. Should I have just walked away from the get go? He never plays on normal game days because the rules guru stomps him a new one every time he tries his B.S.

Sorry for the rant I had to get it out somewhere lol.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 14:24

I understand why you'd want to rant about it - quite frankly if someone tried to pull any of that against me, I'd pack my models up, tell him to go home and actually read the rulebook and stop being such a "censored by the inquisition".

Honestly, I actually got wound up just reading the above, I can't begin to imagine how you managed to complete a game against him. I'd definitely have a quiet word with the new guys though and tell them that if they ever want a genuine game to learn how to play you'd be happy to help, either playing one of them or 'GM'ing a game between them.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
barenone
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 14:38

Ya I am going to talk to the people at the shop. I am sure he has talked about how little I know to them so the other guys would probably be better to tell them, Less propaganda against them.
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 15:09

In that situation it's rulebook time. If it slows down the game, oh well. If he doesn't want to argue? Good. If they were house rules at a tournament or another shop? Well this isn't a tournament or that shop.

When it comes to new players, its important to tach them the correct rules because old habits are hard to break. When me and my buddy started, he mistkenly told me krak grenades had the same profile as krak missiles, and you'd be disgusted to know how many players allowed me to believe that before I read my friends codex. And from then on it took a month for my friend to get the stat line right because he was so used to playing it that way.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 15:24

Ya it was a shop in sac, I have been there frequently, there are no rules like that he was making it up. Every time I would bring out the rule book he would just say he is not going to argue or that his "house rules" supersede the rulebook because the rulebook is after all, only a guide.
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 15:38

Then I would have informed the new players that they are not learning how to play 40k, but whatever twisted variant he plays by himself in his mothers basement.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 15:45

lol yup.
Back to top Go down
KiriONE
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 16:12

Tabletop gaming has a fair share of these guys, though I guess any sort of hobby that attracts socially awkward individuals does.

I usually know by the end of turn 1 what kind of game it's going to be, depending on how turn 2 goes, I gladly concede even if I'm up. When they ask why I'll simply say they simply are no fun to play against or they are ruining my experience. It's sort of a public shaming strategy but that's fine. I think people need to be called out on those things.

I'm competitive more than I forge the narrative, but there's a problem when the game stops being a game and becomes more an argument about rules rather than a table with plastic models fighting each other.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 16:26

barenone wrote:
Ya it was a shop in sac, I have been there frequently, there are no rules like that he was making it up.

As in Sacramento? I was just at Great Escapes last Friday playing an old friend!

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 16:31

Evil Space Elves wrote:
barenone wrote:
Ya it was a shop in sac, I have been there frequently, there are no rules like that he was making it up.

As in Sacramento? I was just at Great Escapes last Friday playing an old friend!

Were there also two new guys learning the rules? You weren't telling people about your house rules again were you ESE? lol!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
barenone
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 16:36

Evil Space Elves wrote:
barenone wrote:

Ya great escape, That's where he claims the house rules are from. B.T.W. man next time your there let me know ill meet up with you. I live in yuba city which is like 30-40 minutes depending on if you follow the speed limit.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 16:48

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Evil Space Elves wrote:
barenone wrote:

Were there also two new guys learning the rules? You weren't telling people about your house rules again were you ESE? lol!

Nobody listens to me in real life, that's why I had to make a podcast Razz

barenone wrote:
Ya great escape, That's where he claims the house rules are from. B.T.W. man next time your there let me know ill meet up with you. I live in yuba city which is like 30-40 minutes depending on if you follow the speed limit.

I don't make it up there as often as I should, but the next time I do I will totally hit you up!

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
barenone
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 16:50

Right on, You will have a new toy to. Hopefully that will get to you soon.
Back to top Go down
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 19:23

Goddamn, That Guy sounds like a small wound one might acquire from mishandling a needle.

I know of at least two volatile and rules-savvy players who would end up banned from the store if they played That Guy. On the rare occasions I've fought one of Those Guys (and I'll admit they've never been as bad as That Guy) I've given them the benefit of the doubt for the first turn and then immediately started going through the BRB with a "confused and angry" expression. I like to think of myself as a reasonable man but I'll happily throw the book at someone whom I suspect of just making stuff up to win.

Raucir

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 20:02

Next time you play him a) state all the "house rules" before setup or b) no house rules in todays game. Also, what army does he play? Let's ALL work together and beat this guy on the table top

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 20:03

I dont think I will play him again lol. But if I do it will be established. He plays a couple different armies but mainly he plays Chaos Nurgle.
Back to top Go down
Dat_Other_Guy
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 20:31

I despise those types of people that NEED to win to feel better. Not saying I hate competitive people just people who cheat for their benefit. If I was you, I'd tell everyone in the store to just ignore him. I mean I play for fluff, I'd care less if I lose. Man those type of people annoy me so much. Create some house rules such as play FRIENDLY games like in my hobby store. If new people want to join in on the action, you personally bring them to your game. You inform them about this, and you prevent people like J to drive out new players and worsen the playing environment. Hope that helped Wink
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 20:46

Best thing to do there is just walk away sometimes. Sounds like a real tool. Sometimes these "cheats" for at the end of the day, that is what it is, cheating, only respond to an equal stubbornness. The moment he bends the rules and refuses to do anything other. You pick up your models and leave. Get other people to do the same. Tell him to come back if he wants to genuinely learn how to play the game. Take the moral high ground, playing, wait, dark eldar?

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
barenone
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 20:53

Ya I am set and rdy for that if I get stuck in a game with him via group raffle games or something.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Mon Dec 22 2014, 22:54

I've just stopped playing dudes like this.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Tue Dec 23 2014, 00:20

I'd be torn between:
i) pointing and laughing every time he got something wrong
ii) pulling out the Dreadsock and clouting him 'round the head with it
iii) packing up and walking away without saying a word

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Aroban
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Tue Dec 23 2014, 02:23

Just don't play him, it is not worth putting energy into it. You will not get fun by playing him...

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Tue Dec 23 2014, 06:47

What army does this guy play? Not some very nicely painted Ultramarines (or counts as White Scars) were they?
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Tue Dec 23 2014, 11:48

I got locked into a campaign with that guy. Dude was raging, swearing, yelling, sweating profusely (dude was pitting hardcore so gross) against a kid half his age in an "Introduction Narratve Gaming" campaign. Unfortunatley that kid hasn't played a game of 40k since and was even talking about selling his army right after that game. He also got into a 2 hour long argument with me via text over the mission we had to play.... and the guy had gone undefeated and nearly tabled every opponent (including me to my everlasting shame).

My approach to these guys is to ostracize them. Never play with them, never invite them to any events and just completely ignore them. I'm all about collectively shaming such players.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Rant about "That Guy"   Tue Dec 23 2014, 13:44

Good news, I was chatting with the rules guru, Who is an employee at the shop, He said the guy always does crap like that, that's why no one plays him. It ends up however that the terrain J used in our match was actually an employees terrain that J took out of the office without permission, When he returned it some pieces were broken. J's response from what I hear was "Oh Well" Last time I looked he was removed from the shops 40k group page. I am wondering if he was booted from the shop as well Smile
Back to top Go down

Rant about "That Guy"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: