Recovering addict
4%
 4% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 82

AuthorMessage
Grub
Wych

PostSubject: What are you first?   Sat Dec 20 2014, 23:20

So I'm interested in how people on this site view themselves in relation to the hobby, just to kind of gauge the community as 2014 comes to an end. So what do you view yourself as first within the hobby?

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
megatrons2nd
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 02:17

I used to be a competitive player. Work/real world issues have made me more casual, and so far out of practice, not to mention the rising cost of playing, and getting the 6th book 9 months before it turned into 7th really took a hammer to any kind of potential competitiveness I had. The further balance issues that have been increasing rather than decreasing has removed the caring of playing much at all.

So I guess recovering addict?

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 03:30

I'm all about the characters and the lore in no other faction did i find such a hive of scum and villainy, or in other words i like the guys who say this is a crapsack universe and were not gonna make it any easier.

Dracon

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 06:33

I play competitively, but rarely in structured competitions.

That being said, 'modeler' is a close second. I often lament that I can't buy minis, build them, and sell them for an equal or greater price.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 07:18

Well, given my amunt of grey plastic i would kindly call myself collector... Very Happy

Im really hoping to change category.

1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 08:24

I'm a combo of 3 results actually; modeler, casual gamer and competitive player

Wych

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 09:32

I myself got into the hobby because of the painting. And I love the painting (although that love is steadily decreasing as I paint up 1500 points of Militarium Tempestus for a friend) but I am a competitive player aswell. It can be difficult to find the balance between getting something and rushing through the painting just to get them on to the board and actually enjoying the whole preparation side of it and making them look good!

Back to top Go down
Lord Puberis
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 11:21

I originally started with the view of being a player, playing loads of games and trying to win.

I have been into the hobby for about a year and have found that now I like collecting models, allowing me to play any list at Amy time, but I love the fluff, and I love writing fluff for my games and my group.

The playing is a fun secondary now.

"I think the next stage for him is to remortgage and bring a captial Ship...
.....Brings it on a roof rack, leans out the window, rolls a 2+.Wins. Goes Home.
Its the future we're all facing"
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 11:50

While I voted collector... I'd say I'm actually a pretty competitive player. I've not played in a tournament in years but I definitely play with a lot of pride and come to win glory for my army. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than giving honor badges, campaign badges and kill markers to my units. I think it comes from a place of wanting a story for my army that's forged in-game. I'm definitley no win-at-all-costs type of guy. I always let me opponent have a couple of "fudges" like say they forgot to battle-focus a unit, or forgot to roll their reserves and they remember in the shooting phase or something. I have limits but I want people to enjoy playing with me.

But I think I'm probably a slow-grow collector first. I'm basically trying to develop a 10,000 pt apocalypse force that isn't just a mish-mash of units but a truly cohesive force meant to operate as a whole. I've got about 6,500 pts but its far from optimized. I'd say I've got 3,500 pts ready to rock. Anyway cool thread... I love stuff like this. Looking forward to seeing how people sort of identify themselves.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 17:09

I would classify myself as newbie, yet decently knowledgeable to this. I am unsure what to vote o.o
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 19:31

Hmm. Well I only collect models I play so I wouldn't call myself a collector. No mandrakes here I assure you! Considering my early models have horribly caked on paint (i intend to strip them and redo them at some point) and my later models that have a somewhat decent paint job are also covered in glitter, I wouldn't say I'm a painter! Modeller? My models are constantly breaking, so if having to repair them every week means I'm a modeller then sure, but I think it means I'm not. I'm a lore-lover when it comes to Dark Eldar, but I find every race in the 40k universe universally boring, and I think the Horus Heresy is a totally overrated story arc, about a college fraternity where one group of bros decided they didn't like Daddy, and one group of bros stayed loyal, resulting in the most epic brodown in human history. I'm not a recovering addict I've only been in the game for about two years. I haven't played in many tournaments, and I haven't won any because I refuse to use Eldar in my list.

Well I guess that makes me a casual gamer. I build lists to win, I mostly win, and I like to win. But eh, I have a good time losing too. Sometimes a losing game is more fun/funnier than games where I'm curb stomping an opponent and he looks all butt hurt. It allows me to forge a hilarious narrative of why my army is sucking so bad.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 20:28

Iám a competitive player. I games that a close fought, competitive and fun at the same time. And I like to win. I also enjoy the list building and planning of an army list before a tournament, I even have a gaming board in my house that I never played a single 40k game on, but use it to practice deployment, not just my own deployment. An example is the voidshild generator. I was to attend a tournament and I knew that at least 3 players was gang to use them. So I placed one on the gaming board, to figure out what the optimal deployment was for it, so I could be better prepared when I faced one.
I also like tho modeling apart of the game, every one of my raiders and warriors are a kitbach and conversions run deep in the army. I should rely start a blog here about it sometime
Back to top Go down
http://www.olasart.se
Grub
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Sun Dec 21 2014, 22:58

It is good to see, I think you can definitely be multiple though (left it as multiple choice for that reason) as gaming is quite a wide hobby.

@Expletive: I agree with close games being better, but you can still be competitive and run non-optimum. I played a sublime game today against crisis suit-cheese tau and ravenwing/deathwing using my army of (after losing the initiative and subsequently losing 4 venoms and 2 raiders and most of the occupants first turn) with 8 grotesques, 13 wyches, 5 scourges and 5 incubi (it was a horrible first turn for me) aided by a tau list consisting of firewarriors and drones (yup. Seriously) managed to table the ravenwing and the game ended with a broadside, 4 crisis suits and 2 grotesques left on the board to force a draw. Best game I've had in weeks. Non-optimised list, still competitive but with a nice casual tinge! Although, the painter side of me refuses to play with unfinished models, if they look goodthey will play good. Maybe

Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 00:56

Grub wrote:
I agree with close games being better, but you can still be competitive and run non-optimum.

That's why I can't call myself a competitive player though. I play to win, but I'm not willing to do whatever it takes to win. Like, if I added Eldar allies to my list I'd probably never lose another game until their 7th ed codex comes out. But I'll happily take those losses. And in my mind competitors don't happily take losses. Unless you're a boxer throwing a fight. Razz

Incubi

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 08:16

I am possibly one of the least competitive players I know, so definitely fit neatly into Casual, and also more of a modeller than a painter or collector.
Much as the term collector could fit me, I think "Hoarder" is more accurate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 09:47

Man I could have ticked most of these.

I started out in the hobby over 20 years ago, and continued even through the most challenging of anti-hobby environments (yes, my 3 years at uni were spent with orange and black space marines covering my desk instead of coursework).

I very definitely started out as a painter, with occasional games thrown in, and continued that way until a couple of years ago, when I started playing regularly at a club nearby. Realistically therefore I'd say that with 5 armies in various stages of commencement/completion (6000+ pts of marines, 4000+ of DE, 1500 of Blood Angels, and <1000 each of Eldar and Necrons) I'm very much a collector, painter, and gamer - I'm also looking into becoming a low-key tournament player. I'm also a very eager fluff-bunny, my non-gaming years split painting with reading, and though gaming has taken over that time recently I still do like to settle down with the background parts of the codices and books (when I can figure out which is the next one I'm supposed to read).

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
commandersasha
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 10:58

I may as well just cut and paste Expleteive Deleleted's post, as that is my position too, on every point!

I get a game a week in quiet times, then 3 months with nothing in busy season; when I get a game, I want 3 hours of happy times, winning is what I strive for but is by no means a requirement. High tension, back and forth play, lots of shouting, and sometimes going for the charge because it is epic, even when hanging back would have won the game.

This is why I prefer Maelstrom missions.

Just sent my first ever commission painting models off, I hate painting, and would pay for all of it had I the money!
Back to top Go down
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 11:13

Quote :
I play to win, but I'm not willing to do whatever it takes to win.

Which is not a requirement for beeing competitive. Playing to win is the only requirement.
You can be a competitive soccer player without trying to fake injuries when you get outplayed, break your opponents legs when the ref is not watching or similar "tactics".

Not sure why "competitive" is always confused with WAAC instead of "doing my best with the given tools".
A player who is not competitive is more like your boxer going down on purpose because of reasons..
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 11:34

The difference is this:

No-one plays to lose (except maybe the occasional teaching game where you're trying to encourage someone to take up the hobby), therefore playing to win is pretty much a given for all gamers.

Competitive gaming is a step up from that however - a competitive gamer would not use wyches or hellions for example where a fluffy gamer might.

The next step of competitive is taking allies to cover your army's inherent weaknesses.

Finally you get to WAAC gamers, who do all of the above, and will twist, bend and misinterpret rules to give them every advantage and push just about any loophole they think they've found.

In short, WAAC players are all competitive, not all competitive players play to WAAC, but not all players are competitive as some consider the result of the game is secondary to the experience of taking part.

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 11:39

Quote :
Competitive gaming is a step up from that however - a competitive gamer would not use wyches or hellions for example where a fluffy gamer might.

Depends on the setting and the opponent, dont you think?
If my opponent is a fluffbunny I will adjust and still try to win with all the tools and experience I have available while matching his army in terms of fluff. Without a challenge there cant be competition.

While the game is competitive by its very nature you wil find a lot of people insisting they play "for fun" and dont care who won at the end and even go for absurdly stupid moves because they are "cinematic" - which is borderline "losing on purpose"
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 12:02

I wouldn't necessarily equate wanting to play challenging games with being a competitive player - it's a grey area, but essentially what I'm saying is that I'd define a competitive player as someone who wouldn't take those choices (one of my closest gaming buddies is what I'd call a competitive player, and though he owns terminators, I've never seen him use them on the table in over two years.

Conversely in the situation you describe, I'd call that person someone who enjoys a close game, but for that reason I'd say they were a casual gamer.

How about this then?

WAAC - self explanatory
Competitive - someone who'd rather thrash a novice opponent than give them a close game
Casual - someone who'd rather lose a close game than win and feel guilty about it.

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 12:23

The_Burning_Eye wrote:

How about this then?

WAAC - self explanatory
Competitive - someone who'd rather thrash a novice opponent than give them a close game
Casual - someone who'd rather lose a close game than win and feel guilty about it.

I would define them differently

WAAC: bending rules to own benefit
Competitive: Wants to have close games and win mst of them
Casual: Cinematic

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Devilish
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 12:36

I voted modeller and casual gamer. Most of my army is still grey conversions of different kinds with greenstuff giving the odd green to it. I like to play games, but Iäm embaressed to bring my miniatures outside my gaming group for lack of colour. It shoud change once I get some more time to spend on them.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: What are you first?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 13:02

I guess I'd consider myself 'semi-competitive'.

I try to build reasonably competitive lists, but might also take some less competitive choices. e.g. even if it's better to spend the points elsewhere, but I'll always buy my Warlord a melee weapon and an artefact of some kind. Having a haemonculus go into battle with nothing but a webway portal just feels... wrong to me. Likewise, I'll sometimes take sub-optimal units/formations because I feel like trying them out anyway.

Collector? Well, there are some wyches and hellions now gathering dust on my shelf, does that count?

Painter? Nope. I like painting a few models - characters in particular, but others tend to get abandoned.

Modeller? Very occasionally. But, I'm very unskilled with green-stuff or conversions in general. Still, I occasionally manage to make something I'm pleased with.
Back to top Go down

What are you first?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: