Which gender?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
barenone
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 17:36

@megatrons2nd wrote:

One no longer plays due to being hit on by the smelly guys at every tournament she played.

Ya I see that happen a lot with the girls who play magic. Sad part I was somewhat guilty of that when I was younger. Mind you I didn't smell and I was to chicken to ask her out but everyone was saying it was obvious I was into her. Luckily I guess I wasn't to bad because she didn't stop coming by.

Ahh those were the days, naive and lack of social skills lol.
Back to top Go down
Arhaine
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Fri Dec 26 2014, 22:33

Bloke.

When I was chatting up the woman who is now my wife, she very early on said to me, "I don't want you to give up gaming - it brings out a creative side in you that is extremely attractive".  And no, for all you cynics, in the twenty years we've been together that mantra has never changed.

She once played in a WHFB tournament that I ran just to see if she could get into that scene.  Two blokes tried to chat her up, two blokes cheated significantly in order to beat her, and the last two patronised the hell out of her.  She was grossed out by the traditionally shocking personal hygiene issues of far too many tournament gamers, and did not feel comfortable in the testosterone saturated atmosphere of the hall.  She's never tried it again.

She won the Best Female Player award at that event for finishing higher than the other two female players (I'd created it in order to promote participation by women), and declined the prize at the awards ceremony, stating that it was patronising to have women players in a special category of their own, and that the only way to make the game attractive for girls was to basically treat them as one of the boys (albeit, without the traditionally shocking personal hygiene issues of far too many tournament gamers).

And finally, no - you can't have her.

That strains on a leash."

"Sweet Thing" from "Diamond Dogs" by David Bowie
Back to top Go down
Vindicavi
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Fri Dec 26 2014, 23:28

I must say Arhaine I find myself agreeing with your other half on this Smile  It is a tad patronising to put female players in their own part of the tournament; and also to assume they are immune to the lack of hygiene issues that seems to beset our ranks like one of Nurgle's plagues.

After all war-gaming is an area where there is no real reason to separate people for any real reason, we can't really try and get more people involved by segregating the community, saying "Here you can play in this part of the shop and we'll barricade the smelly ones in the back" Everyone should be regarded as just another war-gamer Smile Its a shame that many people are put off by some of our rather unhygienic brethren (the reason I avoid playing in the shops) but its just something we have to accept until someone introduces a mandatory chemical shower on the GW entrances.

Hmm maybe there's money to be made in Games-Workshop branded deodorant 'Mechanicas Spray for the Active War-gamer'
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Sat Dec 27 2014, 09:19

Our girls that hang around the hobby do the paining stuff not gaming and blessing us with something like this.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/348871

melkorthetonedeaf
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Sun Dec 28 2014, 17:00

I'm transgender mtf.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Fri Jan 02 2015, 22:11

I'm Male-body, but not entirely cis-genderd. (I feel like a bit of both, but mostly male)
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Sat Jan 03 2015, 23:17

@Vasara wrote:
I found Mushkillas battle reports on other site and followed a link in it here. I hated his(hers?) list and now I'm halfway of building my own 18 Reavers list with my own flavor to it.

The only person to not assume my gender. I think 40k is full of too many assumption and that drives people away. Does gender mater?

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Sun Jan 04 2015, 00:09

@Mushkilla wrote:
@Vasara wrote:
I found Mushkillas battle reports on other site and followed a link in it here. I hated his(hers?) list and now I'm halfway of building my own 18 Reavers list with my own flavor to it.

The only person to not assume my gender. I think 40k is full of too many assumption and that drives people away. Does gender mater?

It shouldn't, but it does. In my opinion it isn't much different than the early video game industry. When video games were still only prominent in the realm of nerds, for a female to enter into hobby, she would eithrr be met with zealous desperation, a small glimmer of hope to those too socially awkward to interact with females without similar interest, or she would be greeted with hostile chauvinism and prejudice, using her inherent minority in the hobby as a means to attack her. Tabletop gaming will likely never be a multibillion dollar industry, and the video game industry still deals with the above mentioned problems. So, again, in my opinion, the table top gaming will remain a boy's club.

The hygiene doesn't help either.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Sun Jan 04 2015, 02:18

"Gender doesn't matter. Hygiene does."

This has been a PSA to the gaming community by TDC.

Incognito assault marine

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Sun Jan 04 2015, 09:19

@Mushkilla wrote:
@Vasara wrote:

Off topic: I now have 12 reavers and they almost always are in the list. And that was from 2-3 years ago. Very Happy

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
barenone
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Mon Jan 05 2015, 13:29

@melkorthetonedeaf wrote:
I'm transgender mtf.

I know a couple of Tg's from my collage days. People are really messed up to them. You guys generally have it pretty hard. I am sorry for the people who are dicks. But dont let any of them get you down.
Back to top Go down

Which gender?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: