Share | 

Which gender?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Elzadar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 03:51

Alright so this is not a true dark eldar topic, but it hopefully general enough to leave this here as it will get more attention than on other sections of the forum.

My question is: which gender do you consider yourself to be?

Basically I rarely see female wargamers, but after reading that some do not frequent stores or let their gender be known, I wanted to find out more. Basically I wanted to see how big the male to female ratio is on this forum. Razz

And I'm male btw.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 05:43

Male.
I don't have anything to back it up other than personal, anecdotal observations, but I think our flavor of gaming has the biggest gender imbalance compared to other types of gaming (card games, video games, board games, etc).

It's an embarrassment, really.

Jimsolo
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 06:55

I'm not so sure that there is a causal link between wargaming itself and the gender discrepancy, or if its some kind of community issue. I really don't know.

I do know I've met exactly one female gamer who seemed into wargaming legitimately. And I've only met three. Both the other two only played to scam prizes in tournaments. One was a wife and mother who showed up to cons with her husband and two children. The four would team up, work together, muscle everyone else out of 6 or 8 man events, and split the loot. The other was a lone operator who showed up to tourneys in schoolgirl outfits and the like (yes, totally serious) and then play the dumb cute girl routine up so that she could clean up on prize support and sell it. (I'm to understand that she also did this at CCG events.)

Obviously, these aren't representative of a whole gender, but I don't really have much other evidence to go on. Online there seems to be more female gamers. Some of the best hobbyists out there are female. There are a couple central-European women who paint minis and are some of the best painters around.
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 07:08

Male.
Well after competitive video gaming (soul calibur), with tabletop gaming i seem to have found a hobby that is even more of a sausage fest Mad
It's still fun though, maybe we just need more Hype!?
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 08:20

You should probably consider a poll for this kind of survey....

Male, btw.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 09:05

I would go to say that in my experience 95% of the girls I meet that play 40k play it because their boyfriend plays it. The other 5% haven't made it official yet, XD. Just kidding. I'm going to be completely honest tabletop gaming gets a pretty bad wrap when it comes to some of its participants. Partly because of people who cheat to win and also partly because personal hygiene is only something encountered in a nicely GM'd DND game. Not a very appetizing environment for people that aren't addicted to tabletop gaming like crack addicts , I include myself in the crack addict category.

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 10:05

I'm male although I did amusingly find myself as GM of a supposedly women-only guild back in my World of Warcraft days. Turns out it was about 75% female impersonators Smile

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 10:58

In the entire country I'm aware of only two women. One being extremely casual, the other being on the Danish ETC-team. And for the record, this does not add up to 5% Smile
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 11:57

Male here and we had 3 female gamers that would show up each week to play 40k at the club. Also my friends missus has a Tyranid army and she kicks his a** lol

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 13:17

There are a good mix of guys to girls in my local store... I've seen a 50/50 mix on somedays and in fact my win streak was broken (via a tie) by a fine young lady who truly outplayed me last weekend with her Necrons. You can tell she's a real natural when it comes to wargaming... she knew all her rules, a great eye for forcing mismatches in the assault phase and had a deadly understanding of the movement phase and was all about the fluff (lore as she called it.... you know a gamer's serious when its "LORE" as opposed to fluff). All in all a real treat to play against. That being said she's the only female 40k player. Everyone else is playing RPG's or boardgames (Twilight Imperium, Starcraft etc.)

I think on the whole girls are turned off by the aggressive fanaticism with which the fanbase on the whole pursues the game. Yet locally thats not the case at least in the store I play where the 40k crowd is enthusiastic, but very friendly and social.

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 16:12

Interesting discussion, we've yet to have a female poster?

Male also.

I can honestly say that my local club is small, only ever had 1 participating female attendee (one of the guys brings his daughter occasionally to watch him play bloodbowl) though we have now hit the dizzying heights of 1 female member on our forum (yet to post anything though in about three weeks of being a member)

Interestingly enough I can also honestly say that the worst instance of poor personal hygiene (ok, stinky pits) I've come across in the hobby (and there have been many let's be honest) was also the responsibility of a female member of staff at a GW store.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 16:44

One friend's wife really enjoys the books. Another friend's wife really enjoys painting the models. I used to have a girlfriend that enjoyed painting the models. My current girlfriend likes the modeling aspect. But 0/4 could ever be bothered to learn or play the game.

I did meet a girl that claimed she played 40k. I frequented a FLGS for about three months, and for 12 weeks she said she played 40k but she never showed up with an army. she just tried to sell me t-shirts for chaos marines. No thanks babe, I don't worship Chaos Gods, I make them.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 17:02

Male here, sadly our local group plays infrequent so I cannot say regulars, however there are 2 females at the shop, one who plays eldar (not very well but shes getting better) and one that just likes to paint the models. My ex is pretending to get into to try to get me to go back to her but I don't think that counts lol.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 17:08

@barenone wrote:
Male here, sadly our local group plays infrequent so I cannot say regulars, however there are 2 females at the shop, one who plays eldar (not very well but shes getting better) and one that just likes to paint the models. My ex is pretending to get into to try to get me to go back to her but I don't think that counts lol.

show-off! lol!

I asked my wife to get me some spray paint from GW once - when accosted with the usual enthusiasm as to what her favourite army was by the staff member at the store in question she replied 'do I look like I play with Goblins?!?!'. She has no interest in sci-fi whatsoever. Crying or Very sad

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
barenone
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 17:40

Oh my ex doesn't either, Its all an act.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 17:47

My wife always asks if I want anything in Bluewater (big UK shopping mall) when she goes out and then hastily qualifies that with "I'm not going to that smelly Games Workshop place though".

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 17:54

Female, just about.

But I have a great big dried bulls whang.

Ive been doing this hobby since it started but I dont play much. Im too slow a painter.

I dont do girly stuff, I refuse to do girly stuff and only learnt to sew when I saw my dad and beardy male friends do it.
Back to top Go down
barenone
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 17:59

@Count Adhemar wrote:
My wife always asks if I want anything in Bluewater (big UK shopping mall) when she goes out and then hastily qualifies that with "I'm not going to that smelly Games Workshop place though".

LOL, Hey I took a shower last week :p

@Tengu wrote:
Female, just about.

But I have a great big dried bulls whang.

Ive been doing this hobby since it started but I dont play much.  Im too slow a painter.

I dont do girly stuff, I refuse to do girly stuff and only learnt to sew when I saw my dad and beardy male friends do it.

See they do exist :p,

P.S. Hey Sewing is a legit manly thing,
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 20:31

Male and play almost exclusively in a male environment really. Without intentionally gender stereotyping (apologies if any insult is taken its not intended) I think the dispersion of the hobby comes down to what you do as a kid. I loved playing "Army" and sports. Airfix models and things like Lego got me into model making and so 40K was an obvious step for me as I reached my pre-teens. I think that's quite a standard route for young lads and perhaps something that few young girls get to experience perhaps.

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Wed Dec 17 2014, 22:00

Male.
I've seen only two girls at my "local" store so far, but I only get there once in a week for about an hour. My sister used to have some interest in Inquisitor, but it was more about the stories than about the painting and playing.

Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Thu Dec 18 2014, 08:20

Male.
WFB and fantasy games in general have more girs in my experience.
Back to top Go down
Angus Khan
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Fri Dec 19 2014, 10:04

Girl here...I promise we do exist!

My uncle got me hooked on wargaming when I was eleven, and I have stuck with it ever since.  

I think there is a perceived "boys club" atmosphere surrounding wargaming, which puts many women off.  While its not everywhere, it certainly exists in some places...
Back to top Go down
megatrons2nd
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Fri Dec 19 2014, 14:28

Male here.

I have seen a couple of female players in my 26+ years of gaming.  One no longer plays due to being hit on by the smelly guys at every tournament she played.  The others I haven't seen in years because I met them while in the service.

There is 1-2 female players that I have seen locally, but they were playing Warmachine, or maybe it was Hordes.  Didn't get to close as they were way young, and trying to learn a new game is a bad plan when the people playing it are younger than half the time of your gaming life.  I did get a tutorial for Hordes that day from a shop employee, so it worked out.  Game is decent, not sold on the model style yet.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 18:19

@Angus Khan wrote:
I think there is a perceived "boys club" atmosphere surrounding wargaming, which puts many women off.  While its not everywhere, it certainly exists in some places...

I at first thought there were mostly guys they were more into the miniature than the girls, but what I'm seeing now is that it seems that the "boy club" atmosphere is putting most women off. So changing that atmosphere would probably get more women into wargames.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Which gender?   Mon Dec 22 2014, 18:25

@Elzadar wrote:

I at first thought there were mostly guys they were more into the miniature than the girls, but what I'm seeing now is that it seems that the "boy club" atmosphere is putting most women off. So changing that atmosphere would probably get more women into wargames.

I absolutely agree... I know because the owner of the game store I currently frequent has worked very hard (I. E. Banning people if necessary) to foster an atmosphere of inclusiveness and acceptance for anyone who comes in wanting to enjoy their particular game of choice. As such, I have seen more women regulars than at any other game store I have been to in all my years of moving around the country.
Back to top Go down

Which gender?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: