HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6232
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Thu Dec 04 2014, 11:44

Used Dark Artisans again last night. Killed a Trygon Prime and tied up a unit of 15 Genestealers for the entire battle, gradually whittling them down. Lost the Cronos on turn 5 due to some lucky Rends from the Genestealers but the Talos and Haem (my Warlord) were unscathed at the end of the battle.

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 389
Join date : 2014-11-24
Location : South Central England

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Thu Dec 04 2014, 22:23

Nice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mononcule
Kabalite Warrior
avatar

Posts : 154
Join date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Fri Dec 05 2014, 00:01

Nice to see you had succes with them!

I played DA against a tank heavy blood angels in a 1k game. Deployed in the middle of the field, T1. It was a kill point game: my opponent gained 4 VP for destroying them... Yes they were really useful as a fire magnet and really tough, but they awarded too much victory points for my taste. A unit of 3 Talos would have been nearly as tough (the cronos fell first), with 3 TLHWB instead of one, and worth only 1 VP instead of 4.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2502
Join date : 2012-01-16
Location : Rutland - UK

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Fri Dec 05 2014, 00:48

Used this tonight, and despite getting tied up by a maulerfiend (damn thing passed its daemon save against the overwatch from twin heatlance, which would have blown it up as well (we checked)) it held on for several turns until rescued by a trigon (played a doubles game)

_________________
Tan? You're joking, I'm a gamer, you're lucky I'm wearing deodorant!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
The Shredder
Klaivex
avatar

Posts : 2405
Join date : 2013-04-11

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Sat Dec 06 2014, 20:04

@Count Adhemar wrote:
Used Dark Artisans again last night. Killed a Trygon Prime and tied up a unit of 15 Genestealers for the entire battle, gradually whittling them down. Lost the Cronos on turn 5 due to some lucky Rends from the Genestealers but the Talos and Haem (my Warlord) were unscathed at the end of the battle.

Nice.

What upgrades did you give the squad?
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 382
Join date : 2012-11-15
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Sun Dec 07 2014, 20:53

Ha! I must be the only one who has had a DA fail Embarassed
I haven't played Necrons for a while, and made the mistake of letting some Canoptek Wraiths charged the DA. What was worse, there was a Lord with mindshackle scarabs in the unit. My Talos spent most of the combat attacking his own unit, and the other two didn't manage to dent the wraiths. Sad
The unit definitely has potential though. I'll be fielding it again.

_________________

Back from a long journey in realspace...

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Mononcule
Kabalite Warrior
avatar

Posts : 154
Join date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Sun Dec 07 2014, 21:16

@Plastikente wrote:
Ha! I must be the only one who has had a DA fail  Embarassed
I haven't played Necrons for a while, and made the mistake of letting some Canoptek Wraiths charged the DA.  What was worse, there was a Lord with mindshackle scarabs in the unit.  My Talos spent most of the combat attacking his own unit, and the other two didn't manage to dent the wraiths. Sad
The unit definitely has potential though.  I'll be fielding it again.

You're not alone: I played DA four times: they made me won the first game, and made me lose the 3 others Smile (bad deployment and/or too many victory points when slain).
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 382
Join date : 2012-11-15
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Sun Dec 07 2014, 21:40

@Mononcule wrote:
(bad deployment and/or too many victory points when slain).
How do the VPs work for DA? When we counted, I gave my opponent 4 - 1 for each MC, 1 for the IC and 1 for the warlord.  He replied that because it is 1 unit, it only gives 1 point, +1 for the warlord.  How is anyone else playing it?

_________________

Back from a long journey in realspace...

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Klaivex
avatar

Posts : 2405
Join date : 2013-04-11

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Sun Dec 07 2014, 21:45

@Plastikente wrote:
@Mononcule wrote:
(bad deployment and/or too many victory points when slain).
How do the VPs work for DA? When we counted, I gave my opponent 4 - 1 for each MC, 1 for the IC and 1 for the warlord.  He replied that because it is 1 unit, it only gives 1 point, +1 for the warlord.  How is anyone else playing it?

I'd also like an answer to this.

Also, do you get the VPs one by one, or only when the whole unit is slain?

If the latter, what happens if the Haemonculus is the only model left alive, and he joins another unit? scratch
Back to top Go down
Aroban
Kabalite Warrior
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2014-03-03

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Sun Dec 07 2014, 21:55

Da is a unit, since when are each model of a unit granting one vp? I am surprised there could be a discussion Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

_________________
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Klaivex
avatar

Posts : 2405
Join date : 2013-04-11

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Sun Dec 07 2014, 22:00

@Aroban wrote:
Da is a unit, since when are each model of a unit granting one vp? I am surprised there could be a discussion Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Well, they are a unit, but they're a unit that includes an IC, and 2 MCs that are technically separate but form a unit at the beginning of the game.

I think there's a fair amount of grey area.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6232
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Sun Dec 07 2014, 22:22

@Aroban wrote:
Da is a unit, since when are each model of a unit granting one vp? I am surprised there could be a discussion Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm also surprised but for a different reason. Combined units are addressed in the Haemonculus Covens book and Dark Artisans are even given as an example!

Quote :
COMBINED UNITS
Some Formations allow you to combine several units together into a single, combined unit. Where
Victory Points are awarded for units that have been completely destroyed, a combined unit awards a
number of Victory Points equal to its constituent number of units if it is completely destroyed. For
example, if the combined unit from a Dark Artisan Formation, was completely destroyed, your
opponent would count as having destroyed 3 units.

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
avatar

Posts : 374
Join date : 2013-02-13
Location : Your nightmares

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Sun Dec 07 2014, 22:31

@Plastikente wrote:
Ha! I must be the only one who has had a DA fail  Embarassed
I haven't played Necrons for a while, and made the mistake of letting some Canoptek Wraiths charged the DA.  What was worse, there was a Lord with mindshackle scarabs in the unit.  My Talos spent most of the combat attacking his own unit, and the other two didn't manage to dent the wraiths. Sad
The unit definitely has potential though.  I'll be fielding it again.
That's unfortunate. I tried the DA against Necrons a couple weeks ago and charged it into a unit of wraiths (normally wouldn't, but they were camping the objective I needed), wiping the squad handily. It then drew the ire of 1000+ points of Necron shooting and tanked it all for 2 turns.

_________________
Taming the shadows with questionable wit.
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 382
Join date : 2012-11-15
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Tue Dec 09 2014, 18:42

@Count Adhemar wrote:

I'm also surprised but for a different reason. Combined units are addressed in the Haemonculus Covens book and Dark Artisans are even given as an example!

Quote :
COMBINED UNITS
Some Formations allow you to combine several units together into a single, combined unit. Where
Victory Points are awarded for units that have been completely destroyed, a combined unit awards a
number of Victory Points equal to its constituent number of units if it is completely destroyed. For
example, if the combined unit from a Dark Artisan Formation, was completely destroyed, your
opponent would count as having destroyed 3 units.

Interesting. How does that apply to the Corpsethief Claw, do you think? Because without the formation you could field 5 Taloi as anything between 2 and 5 separate units.

Also, am I correct in understanding that either formation gives no points until completely destroyed, at which point it gives up all the VPs?

_________________

Back from a long journey in realspace...

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Klaivex
avatar

Posts : 2405
Join date : 2013-04-11

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Tue Dec 09 2014, 19:16

@Plastikente wrote:
Interesting. How does that apply to the Corpsethief Claw, do you think?  Because without the formation you could field 5 Taloi as anything between 2 and 5 separate units.

Well, this is GW we're dealing with, so I'm guessing the answer involves a d6. Rolling Eyes

@Plastikente wrote:
Also, am I correct in understanding that either formation gives no points until completely destroyed, at which point it gives up all the VPs?

Yep, that's right.

So just make sure the Haemonculus is the last one standing, and then hide him in another unit for the rest of the game. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Laughingcarp
Wych
avatar

Posts : 563
Join date : 2013-09-03
Location : The insane asylum of the universe

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Tue Dec 09 2014, 19:54

For the Corpsethief Claw it specifically calls it out as being 1 unit of Talos, "even though this is not normally allowed" under the Restrictions section of the formation.

_________________
I dedicate these deaths to Odin Allfather, Spearshaker, One Eye.
Fleet Shadowmaker - Kabal of the Dying Sun; Cult of Marrow Excised; Coven of Lambent Hunger
Sons of the Last Breath - Chaos Space Marines
Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6232
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Tue Dec 09 2014, 21:50

Indeed. This argument was attempted sometime ago on here but it didn't really hold up. Corpsethief is a single unit that is larger than normally allowed. It is not a combined unit.

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 382
Join date : 2012-11-15
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Tue Dec 09 2014, 22:40

Good old GW and their clear, unambiguous rules writing... Rolling Eyes

_________________

Back from a long journey in realspace...

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 382
Join date : 2012-11-15
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Thu Dec 11 2014, 21:26

Dark Artisan redeemed herself tonight. I tried out the version with WWP and max templates. Turned up on time on Turn 2 and wiped half a squad of Shining Spears, then proceeded to shrug off the remainder of the squad when they charged in my opponent's turn. All in all, the DA soaked the shooting from the Spears, and from a squad of Dire Avengers, a squad of Wraithguard and a squad of rangers for the next 2 turns until the rest of my army had finished tabling my opponent. A few lucky FnP rolls meant that I didn't lose a single model from the DA formation. Definitely going to be a regular in my army lists Twisted Evil

_________________

Back from a long journey in realspace...

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Mononcule
Kabalite Warrior
avatar

Posts : 154
Join date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Fri Dec 12 2014, 00:19

Thanks for sharing Smile I'll for sure give them another try.

Awesome avatar btw!
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 382
Join date : 2012-11-15
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land   Fri Dec 12 2014, 17:24

@Mononcule wrote:
Awesome avatar btw!

Thanks. I'd been meaning to model a female Haemie for a while (my army fluff requires a brother and sister pair of Haemonculi, trying to outdo each other with their fleshy creations). When the new plastic model came out, I saw my chance.

_________________

Back from a long journey in realspace...

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
 
WWP Dark Artisans: know where to land
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

 :: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: