HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Sat Oct 25 2014, 10:26

Welcome welcome! I finally decided to log my hobby progress.
With the new codex I'm starting a new part of my army, just to incorporate some of the new models and it is a first for my (in regards to Dark Eldar) that i an using an existing Kabal.
During the rumour time before the codex, I joked about the supremacy of the old archons, the royal blood ;-)  
And thus my goal was clear:
1. find an old Kabal
2. hope that I like the paint scheme, if not return to to step one
3. Hope they are not allied to Vector, if not.... You know where to go to.... Step one
4. Be happy and start converting

So what Kabal have I chosen? It's the Lords of the Iron Thorn! With his current leader Marquis Vaulkhere.

"Picture of Archon Marquis WIP"

I really like the new archon model! It reminded my of the old artwork from the 3rd edition codex. I tried to base the model on that an added my chosen wargear, Armour of misery, torment grenade launcher and a good old agoniser.
Painting the model will be quit interesting as I find painting a black armour challenging. Well that is it for now, I'll post progress pictures as soon as they are there ;-)

Sláinte

Last edited by Crazy_Irish on Wed Mar 11 2015, 23:06; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Caspaar
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Sat Oct 25 2014, 11:41

Whoop whoop! Thats some nice Archon you've got there. Really like what you have done to the original. But I thought you wanted a bare head?
Btw, I looove the forearm-blades as agonizer. Really Oldschool.

on painting black: yeah black is a bi**h. Easy way, drybrush with grey (or greyish colour of choice) and wash with black. Hard way, steady hand and extreme highlights

cheers (God save the Queen Wink)
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Sat Oct 25 2014, 13:22

Oooh. I like this a lot. I love the use of that crazy head! The forearm is also fantastic... can't wait to see this bad-dude painted. Give us MOAR!

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Sun Oct 26 2014, 12:25

Thanks guys, it was really a blast to build him, such a gorgeous model.

@Caspaar: you know me, the head would be to main stream ;-) so I had to convert something! But as the ruler of the Lords of the Iron Thorn wears the Ironthorn crown, the head I like to call Jesus, was just perfect! Well with the slight problem that without something fancy, he would look just ordinary... so I added the bling and the hair.
In regards to painting. I started with a base coat of black and grey (2:1) that I usually use instead of just black (Abaddon), as I find it has a nicer look to it and one can still darken it down. So as you can guess, I'll try myself with highlights ;-)

@Cavalier: I'm glad you like it! It was really a pain finding the right arm to suit my needs as there are not many right handed CC weapons.. But I found one that suited my needs.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Mon Oct 27 2014, 10:14

So here is a little update on the armour. I'm pretty happy about the result but not sure if I'm going to do it to the helmet too. Also I want to also paint the blades black. Anyone a good idea how that should look?

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Sat Nov 01 2014, 14:32

Well I'm not happy with my selection of colours for the hair and the other stuff on the archon, so I decided to work a lille bit more on my coven raider and as usual I think I overdone it. Well nothing new for me... Sorry for the bad pictures, at least they are not sideways :-\

I am thinking of taken away the steering equipment and letting the raider be piloted by the coven thing inside it. I think it would be fitting for a coven vehicle.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Sat Nov 01 2014, 18:14

This looks nutz. I love it

Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Sun Nov 02 2014, 09:24

XD well I think you are about right than you ;-) but I'm glad you like it (and can see it through those pictures..)
The flipping off the bow was actually inspired by Skaris mini Tantalus.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Thu Nov 06 2014, 20:13

It is a little busy for me to pick out all the details, but I really like what I can see on that raider.
Back to top Go down
http://heretherebemonsters40k.blogspot.com/
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Wed Dec 17 2014, 14:00

@Teetengee: I'll do some more greenstuffing on it and then I'll make better pictures ;-)

Anyway, here is something I wanted to paint but had to finish the wyches I started to paint.

Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Wed Dec 17 2014, 23:11

I get the throw pillows, but what's the prow supposed to be? Just decorative?
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Thu Dec 18 2014, 11:36

I like it.
Always nice to see well done cushions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Mon Jan 05 2015, 23:36

Well I was a bit busy, damn Christmas presents, why do they have to be so much fun!
But now for a little update.

@Jimsolo wrote:
I get the throw pillows, but what's the prow supposed to be? Just decorative?

Pretty much, yes ;-) maybe to scratch your back, of you have got an itch... Just pillows looked to empty.

@Squidmaster Glad you like like them. I'm pretty happy with them too, even though it's only base color on them right now.

During December I actually managed to finish my first wych squad consisting of the "new" wych models. I had them build since release but was never sure on the colors. Now they are TT-ready. I may as some details in the future, but anyway, that's them now (bases will be done this month).

Boy that quality is bad, sorry...

I'll do better ones as soon as I have done their bases. Next up will be the Cult Ravanger (you have seen it partly already) and maybe I'll manage to build me some trueborn with bits from the old model range, thanks again for all the inspiration!

Next post will not take as long as the last one ;-) I hope...

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Tue Jan 13 2015, 22:36

So B-Days are always good to me (and GW), as someone always gets me something from them or to spend at one of there store. So I went out and bought the Dark Eldar Raiders of Commorragh Painting Guide, as one of the four army's in it is the Lords of the Iron Thorn Kabal. Yay for me!

And the interesting thing is, they actually changed a bit. There is no word about Marquis Vaulkhere. It seems he was overthrown by Khadys Abrahak or someone else. Anyhow, Khadys Abrahak is now the undisputed ruler of the Lords of the Iron Thorn. The king is dead, long live the king...

Also the paint scheme has changed a bit from very to silver. Anyway I like it a lot, as I have never truely used silver as the base color for a color scheme.

Well that is it for tonight, i hope I can get some good lighting tomorrow, to take some better picture as I have done quite some stuff on the ravager.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Wed Jan 14 2015, 10:56

So, hier are some better pictures from my progress. Thanks again to @The_Burning_Eye for the idea of small details on the raider hull. From there came the idea of having a just barely visible pattern on the blue part of the hull. Anyhow, here are some pictures.

And next up my wyches and the archon. I'm not sure what to do with the archon. I really like him, but he does not fit into the new paint scheme (for me at least) for the Lords of the Iron Thorn. Maybe i'll keep him like that and paint the Incubi likewise, thus letting them stand out a bit.
What to do...

Sláinte

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Wed Jan 14 2015, 11:02

@Crazy_Irish wrote:
Thanks again to @The_Burning_Eye for the idea of small details on the raider hull. From there came the idea of having a just barely visible pattern on the blue part of the hull.

Embarassed

I'm flattered, I've gone all embarassed!

I have to say though - congrats on the effort, the armour panels look awesome

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Wed Jan 14 2015, 17:36

I'm glad you like'em! I like them to. Now I'll just need to paint the hunting moon over it and then just highlights and the hull is done.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Fri Jan 16 2015, 22:36

So I have been a busy bee (that is for my hobby pace, not everyone can be a painting machine like ESE XD).
And I have also made some forks again, so here is just a peak at the cult ravager next to the cult raider. I'll need to finish the highlights on the hull and it will be as good as finished!

Also here are my terminus for the Lords of the Iron Thorn paint scheme that is shown in the Raiders of Commorragh painting guide. I'm not jet happy with the silver. It is still unclean but I wanted to see what it would look like.

And yet another, this time high quality look at my converted coven raider. Still WIP.

Well I hope you like what you see. I hope to finish the raider soon, as I'm looking forward to paint my converted Lilith.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Fri Jan 16 2015, 23:07

The prow on the stern sofa is clearly a drinks dispenser.

Stunning work, and thankyou for a good way to represent Enhanced sails on my HQ's Raider; my other Raiders dont use them, so I wanted it to look different!

Also lovely to see a bold, bright colour scheme!
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Sat Jan 17 2015, 09:14

XD well drink or drugs, some kind of dispenser...

But I'm glad you like them. The idea of the sails was copied from some conversion I saw here on the forum. Sorry I forgot your name! And the colours are not that bright at all, eben though they look a bit clownish. But I tried to uses mostly base colours as they are not as shiny and thus give a better feeling of the grim dark.

Le Maitre Macabre

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Sat Jan 17 2015, 13:32

Very nice stuff good sir. I really, like the raider conversion you have going there. I am looking forward to seeing the finished article

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Sat Jan 17 2015, 17:59

Another plog full of beautiful conversions. The Raiders and Ravagers are all looking good, and I'm a big fan of the barely-visible pattern on the blue. Also liking the Archon, although that head always reminds me of a Doctor Who Cyberman Smile

Back from a long journey in realspace...

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Sat Jan 17 2015, 20:01

@spellcheck2001 thanks a lot! I think because Commorragh is so big, that there should be variety in raider design, but there isn't so I opened my workshop and it is really fun ;-)

@Plastikente thank you too! I am very happy about the blue on blue pattern, as it makes the hull look special. I may have to get different designs but then that is what hobbing is all about, trying new stuff and improving ones techniques.
About the archon, I feel he looks like second place. A Dracon maybe... Just an excuse to model and paint another archon XD

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Mon Jan 19 2015, 08:09

Nice work mate!!! Sadly I've been anything but a busy bee this month (at least concerning painting Sad ). But you're giving me the right motivation. I need to keep up Razz

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   Mon Jan 19 2015, 17:18

@Caspaar wrote:
Nice work mate!!! Sadly I've been anything but a busy bee this month (at least concerning painting Sad ). But you're giving me the right motivation. I need to keep up Razz

Cheers

You better keep it up! Those poor models need paint other otherwise they'll perform badly against those space marines ;-)

As my hobby ADHS is kicking in I'm trying to focus to keep on painting Dark Eldar, so I started with a test incubi (gonna be the same armour as the Lord) even though I'm not finish with the ravager....

PostSubject: Re: Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update   

Back to top Go down

Crazy Workshop - now with a nice little update
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: