Splintermind Episode 2

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Splintermind Episode 2   Wed Oct 08 2014, 16:16

The next episode is up.

We have the new codex in hand, and amidst discussion of spontaneous ovary explosions and notes of self-hugging Archons, we do find time to discuss the new army wide special rules, the datacards, warlord traits, new sculpts, and a lot more!

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.

Last edited by Thor665 on Sat Oct 25 2014, 05:36; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DrakeHarkonnen
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Wed Oct 08 2014, 17:49

+1 toughness drug gives you t5 reavers, which seems like it would be pretty good
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Wed Oct 08 2014, 17:53

I'd rather get +1 Str on my Reavers, but I will agree with you - for Reavers, +1 Toughness isn't bad. Of course it's not bad for a number of things, it's just not brilliant either. i want my defense to be the power of my offense, not trying to shore up the DE weakness of being fragile.

I will admit they appear to be moving away from that as a concept - though I am unsure what their new concept is.

Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Wed Oct 08 2014, 19:00

Really enjoying the dynamic between the two of you. Covers all angles nicely without any jarring points.

Makes for a very easy listen without my mind wandering.

Looking forward to episode 3!

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 00:08

@Dragontree wrote:
Really enjoying the dynamic between the two of you. Covers all angles nicely without any jarring points.
Two episodes in and we haven't killed each other yet. Success! Razz
Glad you're loving the show Twisted Evil

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 02:47

Great job guys.

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 03:11

I actually ended up cutting out a 10 minute long conversation of me expounding on the fluff od the codex and ESE basically going 'yeah' every thirty seconds or so.

Other than that I think the second episode went well, a bit long, but...y'know, *new codex* and all that.

Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 03:16

I really enjoy those discussions though. You and Space elves are among the few people that actually really weigh my decisions with DE. There is so much garbage out in the interwebs this is the only reliable place to come not only for DE but most of 40k. Places like Frontline just spew filth out based on a couple thoughts or ideas just for the traffic on their sight. I don't even go to Dakka, Warseer is ok. Mulling over the codex is great because it lends people insight on train of thought as opposed to a black and what what is good and what isn't.

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 09:04

I really enjoyed the episode. I think maybe you missed a little something with the +1WS though - this benefits the Succubus quite nicely. Stick her with a unit of Grotesques then split up in the movement phase. Both units charge in separately, and voila, you have a succubus who can only be hit on 5's by anyone WS4 or less, or they can attack the Grotesques, who are easier to hit but T5. You could even use her to challenge a sergeant type character then apply the excess woulnds onto the unit without any fear of being hit back!

I do think it's a shame that the hit chart goes up to 5 for more than double WS, but not 2+ for less than half WS values!

Back on topic though, I love the show, and the discussion of items you guys have. I think this second episode flowed a bit better than the first, but that's probably familiarity. Looking forward to episode 3!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Calyptra
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 09:27

@Thor665 wrote:
I actually ended up cutting out a 10 minute long conversation of me expounding on the fluff od the codex and ESE basically going 'yeah' every thirty seconds or so.

Other than that I think the second episode went well, a bit long, but...y'know, *new codex* and all that.

I wouldn't mind hearing that. Fluff should be expounded upon.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 10:07

@Calyptra wrote:
@Thor665 wrote:

I concur.

Loved the show, and didn't think it was too long at all. Looking forward to next episode.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Mr Believer
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 11:45

Laughed a lot at the combat drugs line! "They shorten your life, because they make you terrible." Another great episode!

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 13:58

Awesome podcast, you guys have got another subscriber for sure!

I know you said you'll be going over units etc. in future episodes, but one thing I was hoping you could touch on is which HQs complement which styles of lists well?
EG: Who and which kit goes best with which assault units? Which HQ do you want where in your floaty space gun line of death? Etc.

Thanks a million for putting in the time and effort to make Splintermind happen!

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
Taffy10
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 15:18

Thank you guys

Finally something that makes sense and not only try's to push good looking model sales.

Its all about the pleasure of watching your opponents prized asset crumble to dust..... The look on their face is priceless lol!
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 15:37

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
I really enjoyed the episode. I think maybe you missed a little something with the +1WS though - this benefits the Succubus quite nicely. Stick her with a unit of Grotesques then split up in the movement phase. Both units charge in separately, and voila, you have a succubus who can only be hit on 5's by anyone WS4 or less, or they can attack the Grotesques, who are easier to hit but T5. You could even use her to challenge a sergeant type character then apply the excess woulnds onto the unit without any fear of being hit back!
I did point out that the Succubus shift would make her harder to hit (it was about the same time I was noting that the Archon didn't get the effect). I didn't dwell on it much, but then again I'll admit I think that's a pretty minor shift. Also, in your above example, isn't it worth leaving her attached for the T5? I mean, yeah, 5+ to hit is nice, but so is 5+ to wound - and she doesn't even need the drugs to get that effect.

I think I stand by the +1 WS being just sorta okay.

I do like that you found the flow better, I hope we keep that going. It might just be familiarity working through as well - ESE and I only started talking with each other 1-2 times prior to doing the first podcast, so I think we're just starting to learn each other's flow.

@Calyptra wrote:
@Squidmaster wrote:
I concur.

Loved the show, and didn't think it was too long at all. Looking forward to next episode.
I do have the audio saved, so it might get appended to a shorter episode in the future.
Also, I can assure you I'm pushing for a future fluff centric show as well.

Glad you both liked the show!

@Laughingcarp wrote:
I know you said you'll be going over units etc. in future episodes, but one thing I was hoping you could touch on is which HQs complement which styles of lists well?
EG: Who and which kit goes best with which assault units? Which HQ do you want where in your floaty space gun line of death? Etc.
This is a pretty good idea and not something I would have thought of off the top of my head I think.
We'll see what we can do for you!

Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 18:06

Another great episode. So you prefer the Tactical Warlord table? Interesting. Does it really help that much in maelstrom?

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 19:19

Card draw helps in Maelstrom.
Gaining more VPs or denying them to your opponent also helps.

I find the Tactical table to be immensely useful to those goals.

Back to top Go down
Laughingcarp
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 19:52

Tactical table is awesome in Malestrom, for sure. It has turned losing hands into winning hands and squeezed enough VPs to tie up or win a match.

And thanks for the consideration Thor665! Fitting HQs into my lists is always something I waver over as DE, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
barenone
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 20:02

He evil, Thor. Just wanted to throw out a great job guys. You guys improved a lot from ep 1 and seeing as how 1 was good that's saying something. Looking forward to listening to you guys more.
Back to top Go down
Aeterna
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 20:29

Loved the podcast, can see this a regular thing I listen to, and a question for next time:
As a newbie to painting models any basic tips to give, should I try airbrushing or stay with hand, and basics of highlights. I want to improve my ability and paint beautiful (Or terrifying) models.

"Hear our call children of the void, listen to the screams of your brothers and sisters, see the raining ash from your home. Do you have what it takes to stand back up, or will you fall like so many before you."
                                                                                                      -  Zorev Norterus, Archon of the Immortal Eclipse
                Kabal of the Immortal Eclipse | Coven of the Shadow Flesh | Cult of the Black Rage
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Thu Oct 09 2014, 22:23

Another great episode, guys! This time there was no noticeable audio quality drop and I could soothe my bleeding, blackened soul with ESE's and Thor's wonderful voices!

I must say that I really like the Q&A section's name. "Advice Archon" is perfect! I can't wait for the next episode.

Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Fri Oct 10 2014, 04:42

Thanks to all of you for such great feedback!
@Laughingcarp wrote:

Totally agree with Thor-this idea is a winner! So good in fact we had better steal your awesome idea before you start your own awesome podcast Twisted Evil

@Aeterna wrote:

As a newbie to painting models any basic tips to give, should I try airbrushing or stay with hand, and basics of highlights. I want to improve my ability and paint beautiful (Or terrifying) models.

Oh man, so much time could be spent on this. It will be a while before we get to these, but I would love to answer your question in a PM if you don't want to wait a month or more. Teaser: BOTH!

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Fri Oct 10 2014, 05:00

Love the podcast. Very informative, drew my attention to a few things I hadn't thought about. Some of the Warlord traits hit me with question marks and you touched on them perfectly.

On the succubus, I will be green stuffing her boots on, not much for the capri's either. So knee shields and boots.

So next week, tell me how to run my Incubi, which transport, who to put with them, WWP, you know, the works.

Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Fri Oct 10 2014, 05:29

@Black Death wrote:
On the succubus, I will be green stuffing her boots on, not much for the capri's either. So knee shields and boots.

I knew I wasn't the only one!! Razz When I painted the 5th edition Succubus model(remember metal HQ's?) I started painting the pants, got down to the boots...."What the hell? Are those combat capri's?!!! What gladiator wears capri pants in the in the arena? Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
Jack of Trump
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 2   Fri Oct 10 2014, 05:46

Great podcast guys, im fully looking forward to hear your guy's 2 cents on the dark eldar and their future.

If you're ever looking for a guest who is the resident Dark eldar player and plays pure wyches, please just ask
Back to top Go down

Splintermind Episode 2
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Splintermind
-
Jump to: